buckland athletic reserves v waldon athletic

Waldon Make Waves with Heavy Belli Win Over Bucks

Belli-eve: Waldon defeat Bucks 5-1 at Windmill Hill to move a step closer to a third successive George Belli Cup. (c)MiraclePR

Waldon Athletic remain on course for a third successive George Belli Cup final after they ran out 5-1 winners in their quarter-final home tie over Buckland Athletic Reserves. Tom Holland and Chris Harrity shone as the Clarets showed huge determination to overcome their title rivals at Windmill Hill. Holland opened the scoring after Harrity`s driving run into the box with Josh Mason soon adding the second after nipping in between the stranded ‘keeper and defenders. Buckland pulled one back through Shane Gill but the hosts responded by upping their game, Zac Gleeson swivelling before firing home to make it 3-1 at half-time. Another driving Harrity run and cross found Holland volleying in at the far post before Waldon lost skipper Tom Pennicott after his second booking. Holland then turned provider for the home side’s fifth, leaving Harrity to cap a fine performance by chipping the ‘keeper.

East Allington United came from behind away at neighbours Dartmouth AFC to reach their third cup semi-final this season. United haven’t placed well in the Belli recently and when a Kevin Causley penalty put Darts ahead it looked as if it might be the same story this season. But the Pirates clearly have their eyes on the silverware this season as an own goal and strikes from Si Hannaford and Andy Davis put them through. The other two semi-finalists have also struggled to make an impact in this competition lately. Kingsteignton Athletic enjoyed a fine 4-0 win away at Ashburton to keep alive their hopes of some silverware. The Rams found the net through Connor Grose, Steve Payne, Toby Pullman and Tom Reeves. There were also four away goals for Kingskerswell and Chelston as they dispatched Loddiswell Athletic 4-2.

Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves continue to slip towards the Premier exit door with another defeat this week. An early 35-yard lob from Owen Stockton was enough for hosts Watcombe Wanderers to take the three points but the Greens were nearly made to pay for a host of missed chances when, with almost the last kick of the game, a Spurs player grazed the upright with a cross-goal shot. Goalkeeper Billy Courtier put in a fine performance, performing admirably despite being a spectator for long spells, while veteran midfielder Mike Fieldhouse was another who stood out for his tireless running, creating plenty of chances but failing to find the net. It’s a six straight defeats for struggling Ivybridge Town Reserves who lost out 5-3 at Brixham AFC Reserves. Upton Athletic bounced back from defeat at Darts with six goals at home to Ipplepen Athletic, the Pens with only the one consolation.

The big game in the Dartmouth Cup was the Paignton derby between title rivals Roselands and Paignton Villa. Roselands finished the day still fighting on four fronts as they won 3-1 at South Devon College; the Reds’ goals came from striker Marc Hagland, Adam Blackburn and Colin Brown while Villa’s reply was from Robbie Evans. Another side knocking on the door of the Premier League, last year’s cup runners-up Newton Abbot ’66, were at home against a side who were playing in the Premier last season – Stoke Gabriel Reserves. Despite goals from Sean Boldick and Thomas Lowe, the hosts’ cup run was ended by the Railwaymen who triumphed 3-2. It was a third meeting this season between Chudleigh Athletic and Bovey Tracey Reserves with one apiece in the league. This was another tremendous battle between two evenly-matched teams and Bovey had an early chance when Alistair Chuchuk fizzed a left-footed cross across goal. The incoming Mark Westlake connected but not enough to get the ball on target. Chudleigh were also pressing in an end-to-end game and the hosts had a couple of chances to shoot but hit the ball straight at Bovey deputy ‘keeper Wills, in for the injured Tom Leach. Bovey then had a glorious chance when Matt Hemstock threaded Will Christophers clean through but the latter placed his effort just wide of the post. The second half continued in the same vein with the game swinging to-and-fro and no quarter given by either in the challenge. Sam Hancox had a good chance for Chudleigh but lobbed over the bar. At the other end only Chuchuk will know how he missed in front of goal after a lightning-quick Bovey break which saw Christophers’ pass through to him. Changes were made for both teams, Chudleigh sending on Martin Smith and Sam Cockram for Sam Hancock and George Walne.
Bovey sent on 16 year-old debutant Sam Barnes for Henry Buckpitt who had run himself into the ground at right midfield. The game went into extra-time and the game turned in a couple of key minutes. Firstly for Bovey, Christophers finished a Chuchuk pass into the net but the joy was cut short as the linesman had his flag raised. Within two minutes, Chudleigh were ahead: a Bovey attack had broken down and been cleared by a Chudleigh defender. This caught Bovey defenders Steve Cooney and Olly Clifford-Bourne out as sub Cockram nipped in for a nice lobbed finish, Wills with no chance. Bovey were now struggling to hold the ball up top despite looking promising when the ball was at the feet of Barnes and Christophers. The game was sealed in the final period of extra-time when Bovey were unable to clear a Chudleigh attack. After Wills had initially saved a close-range effort, the ball was eventually returned for Matt Carroll to thump home again and secure Chudleigh’s passage into the semis. Kingskerswell and Chelston can focus on their relegation scrap now after they were comfortably knocked out by Totnes and Dartington Reserves, 8-2 the final score from the Foxhole Ground. The sole game in Division One saw Buckland Athletic Thirds extend their lead to six points with a 3-0 home success over Beesands Rovers, Matt Briant, Chris Newnham and Adam Whitmore with the goals.

A Shaun Cotton hat-trick delivered three of a whopping seven for Paignton Saints at Belfield as they sent AFC Staverton out of the Lidstone Cup – but not before going behind. It was a windy afternoon at Belfield but both teams tried to play a passing game and the opening exchanges were fairly even until Jon Parsons hit a low shot under Sean Hootan in the Saints goal. Saints were quickly level though, Cotton scoring his first, a low shot from the right-hand side across Matthew Frost and into the far corner. Another meaningful Cotton drive, this one taking a deflection, saw Frost picking the ball out of his net again shortly afterwards. Staverton then gave themselves a mountain to climb in the second half when they conceded possession in midfield and Luke Johnson was put through to score a third for Saints. However, the visitors started well and after some early pressure got back into the game again, Jonathan Almond with Stavy’s second after Saints failed to clear their lines. That lifeline was soon withdrawn though when Mike Howes finished off a move at the back post after the visitors had conceded a free-kick. The momentum was back with the Paignton side now and Johnson made it four with another good strike from just inside the box. Matt Reed was the next on the score-sheet for the hosts before Cotton completed his hat-trick – and the scoring – with a delightful volley over Frost. Stoke Gabriel Thirds once again found an extra-time winner, this week against Kingsteignton Reserves in another 2-1 victory, Beetschen and Easson the goalscorers for the winners. Buckfastleigh Rangers dispatched Liverton United Reserves 2-1 in normal time with Brixham Town to host Salcombe Town for the final semi spot on Saturday.

Division Two leaders Salcombe had another lay day but sixth-placed Brixham were in league action where they held Bishopsteignton United to a 2-2 draw at Michael’s Field. Tyler and Davies found the net for the hosts. Hookhills United are a stone’s throw from the top six after overcoming Newton United 5-1 away. Paul Green and Paul Bramwell put away two apiece for the Paignton side with Shaun Wingrove the other man to find the net; Middlehurst found a consolation for the home side.

Taran Smith scored a hat-trick at Abbots Park as Abbotskerswell sent Upton Athletic Reserves crashing out of the Ronald Cup in a rematch of a league fixture from a few weeks ago. Abbots started brightly, dominating possession but failing to make their chances pay, partly due to some outstanding saves from the Upton ‘keeper. Smith’s header broke the deadlock some 15 minutes in with Ben French extending the Abbots’ lead from a corner a few minutes later. Abbots made their lead 4-0 midway through the first half with second goals for both Smith and French, before an ambulance was required to attend to a freak clash of heads between Abbots captain Tom Barber and an Upton player. When the game resumed, both teams were clearly feeling the effects of the prolonged break before Dom O’Brien broke from the half-way line to calmly slot home. Upton did manage to pull one back after a fantastic solo goal from their substitute winger before Abbots sealed their rout through goals from O’Brien, Smith and substitute Lloyd Hitchins which saw them run out 8-1 winners. Also in the Ronald Cup, leaders Broadmeadow STFC bowed out of the competition with a 4-1 loss at Torbay Police in their delayed First Round tie. The Bees started slowly though and gave away a poor goal. It proved to be the wake up call they needed and for the next half an hour the home side dominated, scoring three great goals, two from Bobby Chancellor and a cracking header from Max Prestwood. Against the wind in the second half, the Police dealt with everything Broads could throw with Ross Mogridge instrumental with his defensive play. Prestwood scored another fine headed goal to take the pressure off and from there on, Broads couldn’t find a way past, the Bees through to play Teign Village in the quarters. Riviera United got off to a flyer at Harbertonford Reserves, James Parker giving the visitors a first minute lead. Further strikes from Ashley Dewdney, eight minutes later, and Joe Brittain, 20 minutes in gave Rivi a solid 3-0 half-time lead.The score stayed that way until United were awarded a 65th minute penalty and Brittain notched his second to kill off any Fords hope of a comeback. Substitute Shane Essam found a fifth for Riviera with a minute remaining to complete a fine afternoon for the Torquay side. David Topham was on fire for Meadowbrook Athletic, netting twice as Brook eliminated visiting Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves 4-0; Tom Kingston also scored with the remaining goal an own goal from Rangers.

Chudleigh Athletic Reserves leapfrogged the Dartington side in the league though, spreading the goals around the team as they romped to a 5-0 triumph at Ipplepen Athletic Reserves. Goals from Ware, Field, Ingham, Golding and Towell saw Athletic up to third.

Result of the round so far in the Les Bishop Cup was Torquay Town’s 4-1 victory at Torbay Police Reserves, Jamie Guy, Karl Dooley, Kyanoosh Roughani and Rob Hemming with the visitors’ goals and Mike Raddon with the Bees’ only strike. An extra-time winner also saw Newton Rovers through in that competition against Broadhempston United. Guney Uven and Sirin Guloglu netted in successive matches for Rovers with AJ Ozbek also on the score-sheet.

In-form Barton Athletic, who travel to Newton Abbot ’66 in their cup match on Saturday, brought Kingsbridge and Kellaton United’s stint at the top of Division Four to an abrupt end with a 3-0 home win over Dittisham United. Dittisham’s goalkeeper scored an own goal while Barton players James Thomas and Mark Davenport completed the scoring for the new leaders. Ashburton Reserves, who host Dittisham in Saturday’s Les Bishop quarter-final, recovered from their slump with a convincing 7-0 win at Paignton Villa Reserves. New signing Danny Harry scored a brace for the Ashes, Roly Blowers managed a hat-trick and Ben Drinkwater and Mitchell Murphy-Shore also netted.

Dan Lawton, Marco Ambruster, Lee McArthur and Luke Petty all got doubles for Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves in a 9-1 thumping of Newton Rovers Reserves in the Bill Treeby Cup, Jordan Mogridge also on target for Corries and Rovers scoring through Martin Breslan. Bishopsteignton Reserves swept past WBB 8-1 courtesy of doubles from Summerfield, Fay and Stonelake and singles from Beeson and Moore, while Riviera United Reserves narrowly got past Barton Reserves 3-2, David Tucker, Ryan Duke and Dan Wayne celebrating goals for Rivi. Paignton Saints Reserves crashed out of the cup after a poor performance away at Ilsington Villa, Mike Tapper with a hat-trick and Jamie Teague with the other in a 4-0 win. Villa went two up in the first half, the first goal coming from a poor clearance from Ash Barlow, well finished from distance, and the second from Saints being unable to clear their lines, leading to a good cross and a close range finish. Saints had two big chances before half time to get back in the game. Rich Cadwallader did well to beat two players but his shot was too tame to beat the ‘keeper. The second chance, from Matt Furness, was the most clear-cut as he went through on a one-on-one with the ‘keeper who was able to come out and block the shot. Saints improved in the second half and were on top for 15 minutes but couldn’t get the goal they needed. Ilsington then killed the tie with a good goal, again from distance, and added a fourth soon after which Josh Blayber will feel he should have done better with. Saints had one last chance late on which was well-saved.

Finally, there were two games in Division Five: Stoke Fleming and Strete earned a third successive draw with half of the six scored at Chudleigh Athletic Thirds; they are now four unbeaten. The bottom two faced off at the Malborough Playing Fields with United narrowly beaten 2-1 by visiting Newton United Reserves, Austin and Soper with their two strikes.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *