tom pennicott waldon athletic v paignton villa

Waldon and Watcombe Big Winners as Five Share Premier Top Spot

Beaten by the Bar: Skipper Tom Pennicott hits the bar with this effort but Waldon enjoy a comfortable 6-1 win at Paignton Villa. (c)Richard Holland

Ashburton, Buckland Athletic Reserves, Waldon Athletic and Watcombe Wanderers all made it two wins out of two this season and sit atop the early Premier table along with Loddiswell Athletic.

Ashburton travelled to Wall Park to take on Brixham AFC Reserves and unlike last season’s early game between the two, this was a close affair. Indeed, the Fishermen felt they were unlucky to lose after going down 3-2. Josh Moore, James Moxon and substitute Jordan Kewell found their scoring boots for Ashes with Mark Griffiths and George Meredith, from the bench, netting for the home side.

Things were more convincing for Waldon and Watcombe though. In fact, it looked like it might be a walk in the park for the Clarets (playing in green) after Josh Mason and Brian Doughty both netted inside 10 minutes at newly promoted Paignton Villa (who were actually playing in Claret). But Villa battled back and duly scored, the goal giving them the edge for the remainder of the half but to no avail. Waldon streaked away after the break, Mason getting his second with a header before left-footers Liam McKendrick, Tommy Holland and Kyle Doughty all unleashed unstoppable strikes, the game finishing 6-1 to last year’s runners-up.

Watcombe went one better with an impressive 7-1 success at home to Upton Athletic. It could have been more as well with the Greens managing to miss no less than three penalties! Cieran Bridger netted a hat-trick, Samuel Pyne scored twice and Simon Ross and Ryan Finch completed the scoring to put Wanderers top on goal difference.

Wednesday night’s game at Homers Heath was hindered by technical issues due to a floodlight issue. The referee agreed to started the game with two functioning lights but it was getting impossible to see anything at the other end and so he brought a temporary end to proceedings with the game still goalless. Buckland’s electrician thankfully solved the fault and when the game restarted, Chris Srdinko scored to give the Yellows the lead going into the break. The second half started with Srdinko getting his second when he beat the Ivy’s keeper to a through ball. Ivybridge pulled a goal back and were right back in the game before a penalty, dispatched by Jordan Ewing, gave the yellows a more comfortable 3-1 lead. Srdinko completed his hat-trick despite suspicion of a foul on the ‘keeoer. Ivybridge finished the scoring with a second goal late on, the game ending 4-2 to Bucks.

Back to Saturday, and a hat-trick for Alex Watts brought Loddiswell Athletic joy at home to neighbours Dartmouth AFC. Ryan Duke’s goal was consolation only to Dartmouth who lost out 3-1

East Allington United are up and running in the league as is last season’s top SDFL goalscorer Simon Hannaford. Tom Rowdon and James Ivatts added their names to the score-sheet in a 3-2 away victory at Ivybridge Town Reserves who scored through Patrick Kendall and Billy Northcott.

Captain Jerrad Routledge notched for Roselands in the Preliminary Round of the Throgmorton Devon Premier Cup as they took on Cronies F.C. in a rematch of last season’s Firewatch Devon Senior Cup final. But it was the North Devon side who made the first round proper, winning 6-1 against what is technically Roselands’ reserve side now. Kingskerswell & Chelston and Kingsteignton Athletic both made it through to the First Round by default, with Tavistock Community and Landkey Town failing to raise teams for their respective games. Buckfastleigh Rangers became the first SDFL side through to the Second Round of this season’s Devon Senior Cup, overcoming Tipton St. John 4-1 away, while Torbay Police Reserves fell at the first hurdle in the A&S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup, Victoria Park Rangers with a 2-1 home win. The Bees were caught napping and went a goal down within two minutes from a corner. Mike Raddon then scored a decent goal midway through the first half and the score stayed at 1-1 going into the break. The Police felt they were the better side but couldn’t make their possession or set pieces count and two penalty shouts didn’t go their way. The nearest they came to a second goal was when Ali Mascilo hit the post from a powerful header but it was Rangers who made the Second Round after a 35-yard screamer won them the game.

Consecutive wins for Harbertonford and Chudleigh Athletic keep them at the top of Division One. Despite being only one up at half-time, Fords went up a gear in the second half and hammered Ipplepen Athletic 7-0 away, Jacob Kneebone and substitute Scott Troth with two apiece, Lewis Cox, Matthew Maller and Tom Moody with the others. Goals from Martin Smith and Oliver Williams had Chudleigh 2-1 up at half-time away to Babbacombe Corinthians who scored through Luke Petty. The killer third came from substitute Sam Cockram a minute from time.

Already there are only two 100 per cent records in Division One. Third-placed Totnes and Dartington won 2-0 at home to Stoke Gabriel Reserves. The youthful Stoke side clearly liked to play football on the ground but with home advantage and persistence the boys in blue walked away with all three points and another fine performance. The game was won by two second half goals. Dan Block finished his chance from 12 yards out on the hour mark, sending the ball flying into the side of the net and leaving the keeper no chance. This allowed T&D to pile on the pressure until, with 15 minutes remaining, Sam Aylesy slotted the ball home from six yards out after great play from Buzz Avis in the penalty area. Division Two champs Paignton Saints are also yet to drop a point, midfielder Joe Jordan with the only goal in their home win over Beesands Rovers. Unbeaten Buckland Athletic Reserves were also one-nil winners, Danny Harry netting to deprive Newton Abbot ’66 of a point. Salcombe Town bounced back from opening day disappointment with a comprehensive 4-0 victory over relegated Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves, Charlie Barnes scoring twice and Kieran Stallard and Willie Giffen with the remainder.

Bishopsteignton United stormed to the top of Division Two with eight goals and a clean sheet against Newton United. The only other game played in the third tier was a seven-goal thriller at Whiterock, Liverton United just about maintaining their flawless start by edging Hookhills United 4-3.

Harbertonford Reserves top the Division Three table after a hard fought win at title contenders Meadowbrook Athletic. The visitors had most of the first half but went in1-1. Brook went ahead through Ben Bowhay after 15 minutes but Fords equalised three minutes later with Luke Forward finding the net. The second half was much the same with Meadowbrook enjoying a good spell but Harbertonford going ahead this time through a well-taken goal by Dan Burnley to make it 2-1. Brook kept on pushing but Fords scored a third through Dave Hatch and kept the home side out, Harbertonford awarding their goalkeeper the man-of-the-match award for his efforts. Bowhay did score a second goal though and has now scored all seven of Brook’s goals so far!
Ashburton Reserves are the only other side yet to drop a point in Division Three. Visiting Upton Athletic Reserves had won 3-2 on the Wednesday night at home to Waldon Athletic Reserves with goals from Mark McGregor, Callum Dunn and Nicholas Miller. But Saturday was all about the Ashes, Daniel Grute off to a flyer with a hat-trick and Ben Drinkwater and substitute Mitchell Simms rounding off a 5-0 victory to follow last weekend’s home walkover. Barton Athletic and Abbotskerswell fought out a 3-3 draw at Long Lane, unbeaten Athletic disappointed to give away a 3-1 half time lead. After an impressive first half for the home side, where goals from Tony McCarthy (2) and Anthony Jones put them in control, a complacent second half and an improved Abbotskerswell display meant a share of the spoils. Aaron East put Dartmouth AFC Reserves ahead in their home game against Roselands Reserves but manager Craig Corcoran rescued a point for the visitors with a goal a minute from time. Teign Village prop up the table after a second home loss on the bounce. Despite a Dean Kelly hat-trick, Ipplepen Athletic Reserves won 5-3 with strikes from Connor Breslan (2), David Burton, Jake Kumar and Jared Stephens. It was third time lucky for Chudleigh Athletic Reserves as they finally picked up points, away at Waldon Athletic Reserves. Cook, Easterbrook and Davison found the net for Athletic in a 3-1 triumph.

Torquay Town are proving they know where the goal is. Town lead Division Four on goal difference after winning 8-3 at home to Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves. Danny Rushe scored a hat-trick, there were braces for James Rushe and Jamie Fortune and Robert Green managed the one. The visitors’ goals came from Gregory Daw, Sam Johnston and Steve Parker. After last week’s away walkover, Babbacombe Corinthians started their playing season with a win, Joseph McFarlane scoring twice and Connor Charlesworth netting as Corries overcame Kingsbridge and Kellaton United 3-2. Newton Rovers enjoyed their first win of the season with two goals from Gunny Uven and singles from Keran Neil and Scott Clausen helping them to a 4-2 victory over Paignton Villa Reserves. Samuel Woodcock and Luke Reeby hit the target for Villa whose cause wasn’t helped by the dismissal of Adam Hackett. It took just a single goal for Bishopsteignton United Reserves to secure their first win at Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves.

Brixham AFC Thirds lead Division Five on goals scored as they enjoyed another home win, beating Broadhempston United 3-1. Shane Pike scored twice for the Fisherman and Lewis Booth once, Dean Barter with Broads’ consolation. Hot on their heels are Barton Athletic Reserves, Steven Ready with a double as they hit Paignton Saints Reserves for six, taking his personal tally for the season to five in two games. After a tight first half where Barton went into the break 1-0 up, the Blues dominated the second half to score a further five goals without reply, Ryan Corcoran, Lea Alvey, Wayne Bergin and Richard Heavisides the other names on the score-sheet. Also on six points are Watts Blake Bearne, Cory Brennan scoring twice and Sam Stowell with the other in a 3-1 triumph away at Ilsington Villa who found the net through Ryan Wills. The other Division Five game ended all square, Tom Timpson with two and Joshua Clarke a third for Watcombe Wanderers Thirds in a 3-3 draw at Stoke Fleming and Strete.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *