herald cup quarter-final kingsteignton athletic v east allington united

Roselands and East Allington into Herald Semi-Finals

Semi-Final Bound: Another narrow win over Kingsteignton sees East Allington (blue) into the Herald Semis. (c) Jess Morgan

Division One title hopefuls Roselands booked themselves into a second consecutive Herald Cup semi-final by knocking out Premier side Kingskerswell & Chelston at Armada Park, while East Allington United kept up their run of form with another narrow win over Kingsteignton Athletic, both games ending 2-1.

After just 15 minutes Roselands found themselves in control as they took an early two goal lead. Richard Malone opened up with a wonder strike from the the right angle and a clever dinked header from midfielder Luke Dandy put the red army in charge. But ‘Kerswell bounced back when a ball into the Roselands penalty area found the lively Jamie Hodge, the winger volleying past ‘keeper Josh Stride from close range. This seemed to galvanise the hosts who put a lot of pressure on the Roselands back line. The Reds were then dealt a blow when striker Phil Corvisieri received a straight red card after tempers flared with 15 minutes left on the clock. Roselands held their nerve to make it through to their second semi-final in a fortnight but now have their work cut out to make the final as they host last year’s runners-up and current league leaders Buckland Athletic Reserves in the semi-finals.

Also celebrating consecutive semi-final places were East Allington with Simon Hannaford scoring both goals at Broadpark. The Pirates will entertain Watcombe Wanderers to compete for the other final place.

It was another Saturday and another win for Buckland Athletic Reserves. This week’s victory will be particularly sweet as it was an emphatic 7-2 scoreline against long-term rivals Watcombe Wanderers. After a blunder at the back which saw the Cameron Hunter concede from a Johnathon Carter back-pass, Matt Beer made it 2-0. Watcombe hauled themselves back into the game through Cieran Bridger but their hopes of a comeback were short-lived as Jordan Ewing netted barely a minute after that. Further goals from Ewing, former first-teamer Shane Gill and Cam Kelly put the Yellows out of sight before Liam Northcott forced home another consolation. The icing on the cake for Bucks was a goal from 16 year old debutant James Colclough.

Waldon Athletic are doing what they can to keep pace with Buckland in the league. They scored a goal in each half at Windmill Hill to ratchet up the pressure on bottom side Newton Abbot Spurs. Gary Doyle blasted in from outside the area to open the scoring for the Clarets with Thomas Ogilvie wrapping up the points with cool control and a neat finish.

As for Spurs, they have just six games remaining to save their season and realistically need to win two of them to avoid the drop.

Loddiswell had also knocked Spurs out of the George Belli Cup in midweek but the South Hams side were unable to take points off visiting Ashburton who ran out 5-2 victors. Goals from Josh Moore, Tom Arnold and Damien Francis Furnivall had helped the Ashes to a 3-1 half-time lead before second strikes by Francis Furnivall and Moore ended the contest.

Two goals from Nick Rushe assisted Dartmouth AFC to three points at Upton Athletic, Cameron Webb and Sam Churchill also on target in a 4-0 win. Ipplepen Athletic also scored four times, edging their home tie with Ivybridge Town Reserves 4-3.

A 4-1 home win over struggling Kingskerswell and Chelston Reserves sees Buckland Athletic Thirds move top of the Division One table. A Jonathan Clyne brace helped Newton Abbot ’66 to close the gap on third-placed Paignton Villa to a single point as the Sixes overcame Villa 6-2 at Osborne Park. Sean Boldick, Joseph Clarke Farley, Thomas Lowe and Jordan Person were also on the score-sheet for the home side. Chudleigh Athletic are set to play Bovey Tracey Reserves in the Dartmouth Cup on the weekend and will know exactly what to expect as they faced them in the league last Saturday. Bovey gave a much better performance than they had in their previous week’s defeat at Babbacombe, starting well and trying to play passing football on very turned-up pitch. Ali Chuchuk hit a good early shot which forced Chudleigh keeper Ricky Virgin into a save. But it was Chudleigh who took the lead when Bovey let a long throw bounce in the box; while the defenders hesitated, Matt Carroll nipped in to fire home. A couple of minutes later, the visitors were shell-shocked when a left-wing cross by Ben Tipper saw a Bovey player asleep at the far post, allowing Sam Hancock to fire into the roof of the net on the volley. At this moment, Bovey ‘keeper Tom Leach picked up a nasty cut from the post and was forced to leave the field to go to hospital where he received 6 stitches. This meant that Bovey’s only sub, veteran Steve Cooney, had to come on in defence with Olly Clifford-Bourne volunteering to go in goal. Bovey rallied with Chuchuk unlucky with another effort and Christian Fleet also forcing Virgin into a decent save. Meanwhile at the other end, deputy ‘keeper Clifford-Bourne denied Chudleigh with his legs. Bovey felt a little bit unlucky to be two goals adrift at half-time and in the second half the Moorlanders, with an average age of under 18, came out firing. Will Christopher’s lovely pass put Chuchuk in and he finished very well for 2-1. On 55 minutes, Bovey levelled when Virgin wiped out Chuchuk as he was getting ready to pull the trigger. Up stepped Sam Harris to confidently dispatch the penalty. The game became a little scrappy then, possibly due to the pitch, but with both teams showing great commitment. Chudleigh were unlucky when George Walne’s shot, from a tight angle, hit the post while, at the other end, another neat Bovey move ended with Chuchuk firing just wide. Just when most people were thinking a draw was on the cards, Chudleigh won a corner and Matt Carroll thumped home a free header from eight yards. It was a very frustrating end of the game for Bovey but they will take heart at their improved performance. Beesands achieved their first goals and points in three matches with a 4-0 victory over Babbacombe Corinthians at the Cellars. Fin Bullen struck twice for the Bees with one apiece scored by Jed and Danny Tucker. Watcombe Wanderers Reserves fell to a fifth consecutive league defeat with a 3-1 home loss to Stoke Gabriel Reserves. Meanwhile, Harbertonford were disappointed to lose out in the first round of the Dartmouth Cup. Despite having numerous chances they failed to take any of them and then conceded a soft late goal to hosts Totnes and Dartington Reserves who progressed 1-0.

An extra-time winner for Stoke Gabriel Thirds saw them move into the last eight of the Lidstone Cup at the expense of Waldon Athletic Reserves, Beetschen and Easson with the goals in a 2-1 scoreline. Buckfastleigh Rangers are coming to the end of their season and the title slipped further from their grasp as they were held to a 2-2 draw at Hookhills United. They have six games to try and catch leaders Salcombe Town who have a nine point lead; Town have just five games left to play. Liverton United were unable to move into the top three as Bunday’s goal secured a point for visiting Newton United in a 1-1 draw at Halford. Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves enjoyed back-to-back victories as they triumphed 3-1 at Brixham Town while their previous weeks victims, Dartmouth AFC Reserves ended their horrendous run with their first points of the year, Rhys Morrallee scoring twice and Connor Elliot once in a 3-0 home win over Teignmouth Reserves.

Division Three leaders Broadmeadow STFC did enough to maintain their position, Andy Espley with a hat-trick against visiting Upton Athletic Reserves. Ross managed a brace and Woolnough also found the net in a 6-2 home win. Riviera United did what they could to stay right on their shoulders, sending third-placed Meadowbrook Athletic to their heaviest defeat of the season. The visitors started well but the rearguard of the home side held out, looking well-marshalled and organised. It was Rivi who broke the deadlock, Liam Ford’s left-foot curling shot from 25 yards finding the top corner. Next came a turning point as Captain Ben Hilton produced an amazing goal-line clearance to keep the home side in front. The second goal arrived shortly after, the tenacious Dean Ford kissing the ball home from close range after a squared pass from the in form Stephen Rohan. Dan Taylor’s game was over before half-time: after trying to run off a knock he was replaced by wide man Alex Dart who did well in an unfamiliar left-back role. A lovely passing move was well-rewarded as Dean Ford provided the neat finish for the third and game-sealing goal in the second half with two more goals by sub James Parker, the first from a neat through-ball, racing clear and winning a one-on-one with the Brook ‘keeper, the second a sharp turn and a shot fired into the top corner from the edge of the box. With Ipplepen Athletic unable to raise a reserve side, Chudleigh Athletic Reserves picked up three points to move them to within two points of the top three. Torbay Police moved up to fifth after a resounding 8-0 success at Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves. Another flawless display by the Bees’ Chris Sargent at the back contributing to a third clean sheet in five games but they did not play as well as the score suggested in the first half, the state of the pitch having a part to play. Six goals after the break eased any concerns though. Max Prestwood and Bobby Chancellor scored two each with the other four put away by Callum Brennan, Kip Burgin, Zac Chancellor and Lee Hazlewood. Harbertonford Reserves complete the top six but the Fords lost at home this week against Roselands Reserves, the team they had sent out of the Ronald Cup the previous Saturday. This time, the score-line was a hard earned 3-2 victory for the Reds and three important points. James Beech notched another brace whilst his brother Dan also got himself on the score-sheet with a clever header. East Allington United Reserves still seek their first points of the season. The Pirates scored twice at Poole Lane but visiting Teign Village managed three to take the win.

After a mini-slump, Kingsbridge and Kellaton United are the new leaders of Division Four after they edged visiting Torquay Town 3-2 in a hard-fought game in spring-like conditions. Jamie Guy and returning captain Andy Gibson hit the net for Town but they could not manage a third successive win. Former leaders Torbay Police Reserves were unable to find the net against Paignton Villa Reserves at Churston Grammar School but nor did they concede. The day’s only 0-0 draw was not short of action though. After a fairly even first half, Torbay Police started the second well, piling on some early pressure. But with Villa always looking dangerous on the break, they had the first chance of the half with a low shot wide after 51 minutes. Six minutes later, the referee waved away a home penalty appeal and moments later the Villa ‘keeper had to be on his toes to collect a dipping effort. The next real chance, on 77 minutes, went the visitors’ way with the Police defender needing to head a dangerous free-kick away from danger. As the game swung from end to end, the Bees put a low shot wide of post and moments later another Bees player took a nasty whack to the face from a close range Villa clearance. The best chance of the half came with eight minutes to go, Villa forcing a great save from the home goalkeeper, but then it was the Police on the offensive again, firing over with one shot and the visiting goalkeeper rushing out to win a one-on-one moments later. Then, as the Police defended a late free-kick, they broke away and only a superb last-ditch tackle dispossessed the goal-bound wide man. The last chance of the match came with a minute to go. The Police, awarded a free-kick for handball, sent in a cross which was headed just wide.

“It was definitely a fair result,” said Police manager Lee Langley who named Ali Mascilo as man-of-the-match for his defensive performance. “I’m gutted with the result though because we could do with the points.”

“We closed them down, worked hard and, personally, I think we had a few of the better chances,” said Villa manager Russell Quaintance who praised midfielder Josh Barker for his performance at centre-back. “There were some great performances. Overall it was a hard-fought game and the draw was about fair.”

It’s now an impressive eight straight wins and eleven games unbeaten for Barton Athletic who romped to a 5-0 home win over Ashburton Reserves, something of a surprise result given the strong start the Ashes had made this season. Liam Aswell hit the net twice for Newton Abbot ’66 away at rivals Newton Rovers with Eli Kucuk and Luke Snell also adding contributing goals. Nevertheless the points were shared after the game ended 4-4, Guney Uven with a hat-trick and Sirin Guloglu with Rovers’ other strike. The bottom two played each other at Headlands with Broadhempston going down 3-2 to visiting Dittisham United, entrenching Broads deeper at the foot of the division.

Bishopsteignton United Reserves bounced back from the previous week’s county cup disappointments with a hefty win at home to Malborough United in the Bill Treeby Cup. Pete Summerfield notched a hat-trick, there were doubles apiece for Adam Fay and Gary Moore and Rob Cousins, Craig Stonelake and Kerry Perriton also found their scoring boots in a 10-0 romp into the last eight. With Riviera United Reserves not playing it was a chance for the chasing pack to catch up in what looks to be a race for the runners-up spot. Dan Lawton struck twice again this week for Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves but visiting Chudleigh Athletic Thirds recovered some pride after last week’s heavy home loss to the leaders by battling for a point, their goals coming from Lloyd and an own goal. Paignton Saints Reserves got back to winning way and are now right on Corries’ heels after a 2-1 victory over Barton Athletic Reserves. Both sides started strongly but the first goal didn’t come until mid-way through the first half, Billy Reay with a free-kick which the visiting ‘keeper fumbled allowing Ian Simons to tap in. Soon after it was 2-0 as Lee Sylvester picked the ball up inside his own half and went on a mazey run before crossing for Matt Furness to poke in his 22nd goal of the season. Saints lost Furness at half-time but kept pushing and almost had a third, Ian Simons chipping the ‘keeper only for the ball to hit the underside of the bar. Barton then got a goal back as Saints failed to clear a corner and the ball was stabbed home. Saints had chances to extend their lead but couldn’t make the game any safer. At the other end, the Saints defence stood firm and the game duly finished 2-1. It’s three unbeaten in all competitions for both Stoke Fleming and Strete and Ilsington Villa as the sides drew 2-2 in the South Hams. But with Si Westwood scoring in the first minute for the visitors and brother Andy putting Villa 2-0 up it will be Stoke happier to end the game level. Brixham AFC Thirds enjoyed a first win in three with a 3-1 triumph at Newton United Reserves, Crowhurst with the consolation goal for United. Doubles each for Liam Hancock and Dan Steer helped Watts Blake Bearne AFC to a 4-2 victory over Newton Rovers Reserves. Rovers, who scored through Daniel Martin and Jake Lofthouse, are yet to muster a point this year.

One comment

  1. In division 5, Riviera not playing gives the chasing pack a chance to go for second? Bishopsteignton are 100% in the league and have beaten Riviera twice easily, methinks Riviera will get second at best.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *