lewis woodmore watcombe wanderers

Late Ashburton Collapse Leaves Title Race Wide Open

INTO THE SEMIS: Lewis Woodmore represented Watcombe Wanderers Reserves as they knocked Paignton Villa Reserves out of the Fred Hewings Cup 6-2. (c) Chris Square

Kingsteignton Athletic sent out a clear message to the rest of the WBW (Solicitors) South Devon League Premier Division by inflicting a first defeat of the season on Ashburton, the SDFL’s last remaining unbeaten side. The 3-1 win, away at Chuley Road, sees the Rams in second spot going into the Christmas break. A goal down to a Tom Arnold strike, the Rams were thrown a lifeline when Ashburton strikers Josh Moore and Damien Francis Furnivall were both dismissed within five minutes of each other, just after the hour mark. The scene was then set for Ollie Kewell to draw Kingsteignton level in the 80th minute, Toby Pullman to complete the turnaround with three minutes remaining and Kewell to add the icing on the cake with a stoppage time third. Ashburton’s lead is now down to just two points and both sides have played the same number of games.

After last week’s blip against Waldon Athletic, Upton Athletic got back to winning ways with a 6-1 victory away at Kingskerswell and Chelston. All of Upton’s goals came in doubles with Jamie Passmore, Jules Emati Emati and Ollie Booth each making the score-sheet; Connor Davenport netted ‘Kerswell’s consolation. After their disappointing start to the season, Dartmouth AFC will be delighted to end the year in the top six. A single Rhys Morrallee goal was enough for the Darts to take the points in their home game against Loddiswell Athletic.

Connor Finch struck twice for Watcombe Wanderers Reserves as the Greens beat Paignton Villa Reserves 6-2 at Long Lane in the quarter-finals of the Fred Hewings Cup. Chris Srdinko, Sam Pyne, Luke Rhodes and substitute Oli Pyne also scored for Watcombe who will play Upton Athletic Reserves in the semi-finals; Stephen George found the net for Villa with their other goal a Watcombe own goal.

Harbertonford will start the New Year just a point behind Totnes and Dartington Reserves at the top of Division One after a convincing 6-2 home win over Ipplepen Athletic. The game didn’t start in the Fords’ favour though as the visitors stunned them by taking the lead through Neil Boldick, ten minutes in from the penalty spot, after ‘keeper Matt Maller had impeded a Pens player. Boldick then doubled his side’s lead with a shot from the edge of the box. But the Fords always looked to have the firepower in forward areas to get themselves out of trouble and so it proved when Tom Moody scored with a brilliant curling free kick. Pens were unlucky with a strike that smashed against the bar before Steve Sutton broke through to beat the advancing ‘keeper and equalize. Sutton then turned provider when he set up Sam Passmore for a tap-in to make it 3-2; Tom Weymouth then slotted in a fourth goal before the interval. In the second half, the visitors continued to press for a way back but the Fords’ defence held firm. Both side were then reduced to ten men after an altercation between a number of players ended with Luke Brown (Harbertonford) and Connor Breslan (Ipplepen) being dismissed by the referee. Sutton made the points safe when he struck a stunning 30 yard drive for his second goal, Passmore also completed his brace late on.
Newton Abbot ’66 end the year in the top six after they stormed to a 6-1 home win over Paignton Saints. Tom Lowe led the way with a hat-trick and was joined on the score-sheet by Sean Boldick, Darren Morgan and Thomas Mountfield; Jamie Micklewright scored Saints’ sole effort. There was also good news for neighbours Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves who won 2-0 away at Babbacombe Corinthians with goals from Andy Eden and Sam Hancox. It was another tough afternoon for Stoke Gabriel Reserves who went down 9-0 at Buckland Athletic Thirds. Owen Coldwell, Curtis Marshall and substitute Charlie Nichols each scored two with Matt Briant, and Robbie King, also from the bench, contributing singles.

In Division Two, Bishopsteignton United secured an important three points away at second-placed Bovey Tracey Reserves, scoring twice in each half en route to a 4-1 victory, Ben Beeson with two and the other goals coming from Jamie Bowen and Daniel Brown. Although Bishops will start the New Year nine points ahead, Bovey, whose goal was scored by Alistair Chuchuck, have played five games fewer. Buckfastleigh Rangers were the big climbers of the day, hauling themselves into the top three with a 4-1 triumph at Liverton United Reserves thanks to a Declan Cowley brace and further goals from Charlie Morgan and substitute Darren Greap. Riviera United’s four game winning stream ended with a 4-2 reverse at home to Kingskerswell and Chelston Reserves, Mark Tobin scoring twice for the visitors and Mathew Waye and James Horn also contributing; Stephen Rohan and Callum Hale were on target for Rivi. There was also a four goal haul for Torbay Police away at Newton United. Russell Cooper, Max Prestwood, Michael Raddon and sub Keiran Crocker each scored as did Gareth Harris for the hosts. United end the year still looking for their first victory of the campaign.

Harbertonford Reserves narrowed the gap on Division Three leaders Meadowbrook Athletic to six points by winning 4-2 away at Ipplepen Athletic Reserves. David Hatch struck twice for the Fords and was joined on the score-sheet by Luke Forward and Peter Grafton; Jake Kumar and, from the bench, Mark Wilkinson were on target for Pens. Waldon Athletic Reserves secured their spot in the top six with an 11-1 hammering of Barton Athletic at Windmill Hill. Jack Wilkinson and Brad Evans scored one goal each for the Clarets, Neo Coxon managed two, Joseph Price notched a hat-trick and Josh Mason went one better with four; Tony McCarthy made the score-sheet for Barton. Roselands Reserves bounced back from their previous week’s defeat with five out of the eight scored at South Devon College. James Sandbrook scored twice for the Reds with Callum Vickery, Liam Walton and sub Milan Babb completing the scoring for the home side. Opponents Dartmouth AFC Reserves scored through Jake Osman, Nick Rushe and Adam Turvey; substitute Jamie Aylett was dismissed to compound Darts’ disappointment.

Torquay Town needed a win to ensure they would end the year at the top of Division Four. James Rushe scored four times as they duly delivered, Brandon Ambrose also netting in a 5-3 victory at struggling Kingsbridge and Kellaton United; the hosts scored though Jordan Eynon (2) and Christopher Lynn. East Allington United are unbeaten in five, in the league, after Tom Rowdon’s hat-trick helped them to a 4-1 home triumph over Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves. Simon Davis completed the Pirates’ scoring while Kevin Fisher found the net for the Sixes. An Ashley Furnival goal was enough for Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves to beat Riviera United Reserves and draw level on points with heir opponents in fourth place.

There were just two games in Division Five. A Luke Barton hat-trick lifted Barton Athletic Reserves to the top of the table in time for Christmas as hosts and former leaders Watts Blake Bearne AFC slumped to consecutive defeats. Matthew Birkett and Brendan Boddy turned out for Brixham AFC Thirds to help them to their first win in three, 2-1 at home to Stoke Fleming and Strete.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *