stoke fleming and strete v newton rovers reserves

Ilsington Villa Fell Premier Side Brixham to Make Last 16 of Herald Cup

STOKED: Stoke Fleming and Strete (in blue) enjoy a 3-0 home win over Newton Rovers Reserves on the same day as receiving their September Division Five Fair Play £100 voucher from MJM Sports. Image released to public domain.

Ilsington Villa became the first Division Five club to make the Third Round of the Herald Cup since 2013 and their passage was all the sweeter as it came at the expense of Premier Division side Brixham AFC Reserves.

The Fishermen took the lead through Matthew Birkett but then scored at the wrong end to ensure the sides went in level at half-time. Villa front man Steve Hobbs struck after the break to put Ilsington in front for the first time in the game but Brixham bounced back with Birkett on the score-sheet again. A penalty for the visitors could have swung the game back in their favour but Luke Jeffery pulled off a save to keep the scores even. Then Brixham put through their own net for the second time in the game to give the hosts a 3-2 lead which they held on to to complete the shock result of the competition so far.

Six other Premier sides were in Herald Cup action including an all-Premier clash between holders East Allington United and Kingskerswell and Chelston at Poole Lane. A first minute penalty from Andy Davis gave the Pirates the perfect start but the visitors managed to turn it around with Jamie Chamberlain and Josh Lowles netting. It took a rare but superb strike from defender Jamie Batchelor to level things up again on 71 minutes and take the match into extra-time. Substitute Josef Sita popped up with the decider to keep United on the cup trail.

Dartmouth AFC and Loddiswell Athletic both travelled to Whiterock for their delayed First Round ties. Goals from Lee Morgan, Will Kenny and a Rhys Morrallee penalty saw Darts overcome Riviera United 3-1 while Loddiswell enjoyed a 5-1 victory over Hookhills United. Dartmouth are away to Premier side Ivybridge Town Reserves in Round Two while Loddiswell will host Beesands Rovers.

Back to Round Two and a very entertaining cup tie at Windmill Hill saw the leaders of the Premier Division and Division One go head to head with goals aplenty! Waldon Athletic dominated possession but didn’t have it all their own way and Harbertonford, who proved to be dangerous on the counter-attack, broke away to score first, Steve Sutton on the end of a swift counter attack. Kyle Doughty quickly equalised for the Clarets but Fords sprung forward with deadly effect twice more, Sutton wrapping up his hat-trick with a breakaway goal and fine finish followed by another unstoppable strike on the half hour mark. Waldon rocked a little, but soon came back with Doughty again on target, from a corner, and Ash Harris gifted a goal to make it 3-3 at the break. Once Tom Holland put the Premier side in front, Harbertonford started to look beaten and further goals from Harris and Holland saw Waldon through 6-3.

Ashburton increased the Premier contingent with a 4-0 triumph over Division One side Salcombe Town, Alex Harding with a brace and Josh Moore and Carl Roles completing the scoring. Watcombe Wanderers also progress with Stoke Gabriel Reserves pulling out of the tie.

Goals from Dean Coles, Curtis Marshall and Aaron Thompson at Ipplepen Athletic saw Babbacombe Corinthans make it through to the Round of 16; Corries play Pens again next week as they look to secure a first league win of the season. The game was marred by a nasty ankle injury sustained by an Ipplepen player which almost led to the game being abandoned. Babbacombe will be joined in the third round by in-form Chudleigh Athletic who defeated Buckfastleigh Rangers 4-2, Jack Salmon with two goals for Athletic and Mathew Carroll and Michael Riches with the other two; Glenn Palmer and Charlie Morgan netted for a Rangers side who felt hard done by. Totnes and Dartington scored two with no reply against Division Four’s Newton Rovers, Adam Biggs opening after 16 minutes and Jed Roberts sealing the win one minute from time. Braces from Jamie Micklewright and Luke Johnson and a single from Nyron Connor saw Paignton Saints through 5-2 at Newton United, Joe John Potter with both strikes for United. Division Four will be represented by Kingsbridge and Kellaton United as they beat Division Five opponents Broadhempston United 7-2, Broads, whose goals both came from Dean Barter, were only able to field ten players.

The first half of the Fred Hewings Cup quarter-finalists were decided on Saturday. Ashley Dove scored four on his own for last season’s runners-up Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves as the Rams overcame Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves 5-2 at Broadpark, the other goal a Rangers own goal. Connor Charlesworth scored a hat-trick for Division Four outfit Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves as they dispatched Division Three visitors Roselands Reserves 5-0, Ryan Mellish and Alnardo Folloni with the other goals. Another Division Four side, East Allington United Reserves, also made it through against Division Three opponents, the Pirates with a 3-2 win away at Chudleigh Athletic Reserves. A double from Zak Standish and a single from Rob Hutchings made the difference with Athletic’s goals coming from Charlie Leisk and Robert Cook. Bishopsteignton United Reserves couldn’t complete the Division Four trio although they did take an early lead at home to Division Three visitors Waldon Athletic Reserves through Matt Cayliss and could have been further ahead at the break. But Ben Clark levelled 15 minutes into the second half and with no further goals in the second half the game duly went into extra-time. Skipper Todd Corderoy then stepped forward with an absolute worldy to put Waldon in front before Dave Clark added the third, father joining son on the score-sheet.

Torbay Police progress to the last 16 of the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup at the expense of Cullompton Rangers Reserves. They played some of their best football of the season in the opening period and Max Prestwood duly gave the Bees the lead. After conceding against the run of play, Zac Chancellor scored on the break to put the Police 2-1 up at half-time. Rangers equalised again but Prestwood kept up his impressive county cup goalscoring record with the winner from the penalty spot after a handball. Sam Hancox scored for Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves in a 1-1 draw away at Plympton Athletic Reserves but the home side scored twice in extra-time to progress. Ashburton Reserves knocked out fellow South Devon club Abbotskerswell 3-2 in the Third Round of the A&S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup.

There were two Premier games played. Goals from Rui de Garces and Neil Last won Upton Athletic a point at home to Kingsteignton Athletic who scored through Stephen Payne and Toby Pullman. Paignton Villa moved into the top six with a 2-0 victory away at Ivybridge Town Reserves.

In Division One’s sole fixture, Watcombe Wanderers Reserves enjoyed their trip to Osborne Park, beating Newton Abbot ’66 6-0. Shane Isaac and Ricky Bergin managed two apiece with Mike Fieldhouse and Luke Rhodes the other Greens goalscorers.

Unbeaten Bishopsteignton United maintained their lead at the top of Division Four as home side Liverton United Reserves failed to fulfil the fixture. Broadmeadow STFC stay four points behind Bishops by inflicting a first defeat on Kingskerswell and Chelston Reserves. Chris Bennett, Andy Espley and Jason Hicks scored for Broadmeadow with the home side’s only goal provided by substitute Mathew Waye.

Individual goalscoring performance of the day has to go to Thomas Taylor of Division Three outfit Harbertonford Reserves. Taylor scored twice with Jordan Baggott also netting to give Fords a 3-0 half-time lead against Ipplepen Athletic Reserves. But it was in the second half that Taylor took the game by storm, scoring a further six goals to wrap up a 9-0 victory. The mammoth win puts Fords level second on points and goal difference with Meadowbrook Athletic who also enjoyed a convincing win. Brook went ahead at previously unbeaten Barton Athletic after a throw-in was allowed to bounce in the six-yard box. That was the only goal in an even first half but a wayward pass contributed to a second goal after the break. Forced to push for a way back, Barton were caught twice on the counter as Brook sealed a 4-0 victory with their goals coming from Ben Bowhay and Chris Fry, two apiece. Following five straight defeats, Teign Village finally got a win under their belts, thumping Upton Athletic Reserves 6-1. Dean Kelly and Dean Martin netted twice for the home side with further goals supplied from Daniel Leeds and Benjamin Rothwell.

dittisham united v riviera united reserves
CLOSE CONTEST: Dittisham edge Riviera United Reserves 4-3 at Shinners Meadow. Image released to public domain

Despite two successive defeats, Torquay Town are still hanging on to the top spot in Division Four. Saturday’s loss was a big one though, visiting Paignton Villa Reserves storming to a 6-0 win with Zach Norton scoring five of them, Alexander Williams with the other. Dittisham United climbed back into the top three with a narrow victory over visiting Riviera United Reserves. The Plums scored twice in the first half to go in 2-0 up and pushed hard for a third early in the second half. But Rivi held on and eventually earned themselves a goal back. Shortly after that goal though, a combination of Rivi’s hesitant defending and Dittisham’s physicality in the box saw Dittisham force home a third. To their credit, the visitors responded well and reduced the deficit once more. But once again their defensive frailties were exposed and Dittisham fired home a fourth in the game’s latter stages. Still Rivi refused to let their heads drop and another spell of pressure led to a third goal. Unfortunately for them, it came with the last kick of the game which ended
4-3 to the home side. Elsewhere, Torbay Police Reserves unveiled three debutants for their home game with Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves with Lester Barnes, Jamie Elliott and Josh Washbrook pulling on the amber shirt. The Police created lots of chances but couldn’t capitalise while Lee Griffiths put in another fine performance at the other end. Lee Langley almost won the game for the Bees but his shot went wide and the game ended 1-1, Luke Bowser scoring for the home side and Jamie Felton for 66. Both teams ended the game a man light with Bowser and Adrian Hewings both sent off.

There seems to be no stopping Watts Blake Bearne in Division Five, Andy Moore’s side beating Chudleigh Athletic Thirds 3-0 at Abbrook Park. Danny Martin scored twice for the league leaders with Ashley Skinner also netting. Barton Athletic Reserves stay second after picking up their first points of the month away at Brixham AFC Thirds. Barton overcame some early pressure before starting to take control of the game, scoring through Neil Thomas, Lea Alvey and an own goal for a comfortable 3-1 win; Brixham sub Reece Dallow scored their consolation. Stoke Fleming and Strete remain close behind in third place after a 3-0 home win over Newton Rovers Reserves. Stoke’s goalscorers were captain James Shepherd, Sam Bruckner and Sam Quick. Newton United Reserves will be happy to return home this weekend after two thumping defeats away from home, last Saturday’s coming at the hands of Paignton Saints Reserves. To be fair, United went into an already tough away fixture with a handicap as they took to the field with ten men. Commendably, while not having much possession, United held firm in the early stages before Ian Simons decided to take matters into his own hands. Simons left both the United right midfielder and right-back for dead with some outrageous skill before cutting inside and rifling an unstoppable shot into the far top corner. Saints quickly added two more through Sean Stoneman and Sean Hooton before a miscommunication resulted in a long clearance being headed into the corner of his own net by Saints’ skipper Ashleigh Barlow. It wasn’t long before Saints restored their three goal lead though and, from there, the game was done and the floodgates opened, 7-1 the half time score. Newton got rewarded for their efforts with a breakaway goal from Charles Mitchell in the second half but it was never going to be enough and Saints ran out 12-2 winners with Ian Simons and Sean Paul Hooton ending with a hat-trick each, Kieran Dowsing and Matt Furness with two and Dan Wayne joining Stoneman with a single.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *