waldon athletic

Holders Through to Belli Cup Quarter-Finals

Claret and Through: Belli Cup holders Waldon win 3-0 at Ipplepen to make the last eight again. (c)MiraclePR

The divisional cups took centre stage on Saturday afternoon with George Belli Cup holders Waldon Athletic making it through to the quarter-finals at the expense of hosts Ipplepen Athletic. But it wasn’t as plain sailing for the Clarets as the scoreline suggests! Tom Holland’s right-foot finish gave the visitors a half-time lead but they then had to wait until the final ten minutes to make things safe. An own goal and a third from Jack Gatting, who danced around the ‘keeper before slotting home, finally put the game to bed. Last year’s runners-up fell at the first hurdle though, Upton Athletic felled by Kingskerswell and Chelston at Armada Park, the home side running out 5-2 victors with Curtis Booth helping himself to a hat-trick. Ashburton started their Premier campaign by destroying Brixham AFC Reserves 10-0 at Chuley Road but the Fishermen had turned around their form of late and would be a much sterner test at Wall Park. The Ashes got their noses in front though, Jamie Tibbo with the first half opener, before securing their passage into the last eight through Josh Moore.
East Allington United are into yet another quarter-final as Simon Hannaford put away another hat-trick in a 4-1 home victory over Ivybridge Town Reserves; Fred Massey was also on target for the Pirates. Kingsteignton Athletic wrapped up an excellent 4-1 win with a superb team performance against Watcombe Wanderers despite the Greens opening with the best goal of the game from the half-way line against the run of play. Clark Bassett equalised with a textbook header to make it 1-1 at half-time and the second half was all Kings, Connor Crocombe scoring to put the home side 2-1 up before Steve Payne scored from the spot and Ryan Frayne killed off the game with a fourth. The day’s only Premier game was a South Hams derby at Longcross where Loddiswell Athletic faced an uphill struggle after being reduced to ten men before the break. However, after a penalty save the Greens put in a fantastic effort to hold Dartmouth AFC to a 0-0 draw and climb into the top half of the table.

The Dartmouth Cup is now up for grabs with holders Ashburton promoted. Beaten finalists Newton Abbot ’66 booked their quarter-final with a 6-1 success over Babbacombe Corinthians at Osborne Park. In a repeat of last season’s Lidstone Cup final, Roselands took on Watcombe Wanderers Reserves and once again ended up victorious, scoring nine of the 12 goals at South Devon College. Dexter Allsworth was prominent in the middle of the park for the Reds but Watcombe’s cause was not helped by a first half dismissal for midfielder Shane Issac. Roselands’ man of the match was striker Richard Malone who helped himself to five goals whilst former Green Mitchell McMillan bagged a double. Marc Hagland and Sol Barcley picked up singles too. Watcombe’s scorers were Shane Ross, Ryan Finch and Jamie McIntyre.
Buckland Athletic Thirds suffered a rare defeat with a 3-0 loss at Stoke Gabriel Reserves but it was more of the same for in-form Paignton Villa who scored two without reply to send out Beesands Rovers. The Bees also slipped out of the top six in the league as Chudleigh Athletic won the only league game of the afternoon, Hancox with two and Yates and Cockram with the remainder in a 4-1 scoreline at Kingskerswell and Chelston Reserves.

The first round of the Lidstone Cup was a high-scoring affair with 28 goals scored in five games. Division Two leaders Salcombe Town cruised through to the quarter-finals with six goals and a clean sheet against visiting Hookhills United. Charlie Barnes scored twice for Town with Ashley Yeoman, Matt Thorn, Edd Tymon and Nick Bonnet completing the sextet. Buckfastleigh Rangers ended the run of Ronald Cup holders Dartmouth AFC with another one-sided scoreline, winning 5-0 at the Duckspond but last year’s runners-up in that competition, Liverton United Reserves go on. The Lillies enjoyed a 6-1 triumph away at Bishopsteignton United but Bishops felt hard done by when they went in 2-1 down after dominating the first half, Bennett with their strike. The second half was a scrappy affair with the weather playing a part as Liverton took their chances to go through. The returning David Rowntree wasted little time in making an impact for AFC Staverton, netting within the first few seconds to give his side the advantage over Newton United. Rowntree went on to score another three before Christian Griffiths put the icing on the cake for the hosts with a fifth. Brixham Town faced Teignmouth Reserves for the third time this season and made it through 4-1 at St Mary’s Park.
There were two matches in Division Two. Stoke Gabriel Thirds were at Paignton Saints and took the lead mid-way through first half with a good breakaway goal after catching Saints in possession in the middle of the park. Two goals late in the first half seemed to turn the game around, first Sam Winstanley’s shot went in, hitting Mike Howes who was standing on the goal line – one for the dubious goals panel – then Matt Furness pounced from Jamie Micklewright’s free-kick to give Saints a 2-1 lead at the interval. Saints twice thought they had taken a 3-1 lead early in the second half. The first time, Saints got as far as celebrating and Stoke were already walking back to kick off again when the referee decided not to award a goal as he wasn’t positioned well enough to be sure the ball had crossed the line! Next, Furness was deemed to be offside after he fired home. The game then became a scrappy battle before Stoke were awarded what Saints felt to be a suspect penalty in the dying minutes to equalise; Horn and Beetschen scored for the Railwaymen. Waldon Athletic Reserves put last weekend’s heavy loss behind them to secure their third win of the season by beating Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves 4-2.

The sole game in the Ronald Cup brought delight to Teign Village who pulled off a first win in six to eliminate Chudleigh Athletic 1-0.

In the league, Broadmeadow STFC enjoyed a fantastic afternoon at fellow promotion-chasers Riviera United, going 5-0 up by half-time en route to a 6-2 win, Andrew Espley with a hat-trick, Kenward with two and Ross with the other. The result keeps Broadmeadow a point above Meadowbrook Athletic who triumphed 1-0 over visiting Ipplepen Athletic courtesy of a Matt Evans strike and sterling work from David Shilston in midfield. Torbay Police knew they would face a tough task getting three points away at Harbertonford Reserves and were duly put under the cosh for the first ten minutes, conceding a poor goal. Then Bees’ man-of-the-match Stuart Pointon and Abercrombie began to bully the Fords in midfield and took complete control, Max Prestwood scoring from the spot, Bobby Chancellor bagging a brace and Nick Warran scoring a clever free kick. The low sun played a massive part in the second half and the visitors struggled to play any football, Fords scored a second via a deflection and then a third, the ball hitting somebody’s thigh before pinging into the top corner. With three minutes to go and after more glorious chances wasted, Chancellor put the game beyond doubt by completing his hat-trick. Roselands Reserves made the trip to Abbotskerwell in the league looking to bounce back from last week’s disappointing defeat. Their intentions were made clear when, straight from kick-off, a long ball up to Jordan Langford was flicked into the path of James Beech who put the ball into the back of the net with seconds on the clock. 20 minutes into the game, Abbots fought back and levelled when Sammy Brown equalised from a corner. The goal rattled Roselands for a while but an improved performance in the second half saw Matt Bleakley restore the Reds’ lead with a neat header from a Ricky Duncanson cross. Duncanson’s free-kick then helped them extend the lead just five minutes later with James Sandbrook heading home. However, there was still time for Abbots striker Brown to claw back another goal, striking the ball home from the edge of the box past keeper Liam Walton.

There were just the two Les Bishop Cup games: Goals from Elliot Bradbury and Dominic Farley were not enough for in-form Kingsbridge and Kellaton United who crashed out 5-2 at home to Barton Athletic, while Ashburton Reserves also won away, 4-1 at Paignton Villa Reserves, to make the next round.

Torquay Town pulled off one of the results of the day in the league with a hard-fought 2-1 success over leaders Torbay Police Reserves. Town went 1-0 up in the first half after goalkeeper Lee Langley, standing in for the injured Jake Munday, got behind, but couldn’t hold on to a powerful strike from their right-side midfielder. The ball came off Langley, dropped into a crowded box and the Town striker reacted first by putting the ball in the back of the Police net. Not long into the second half, a Callum Brennan low and hard cross was met by a Town defender who put the ball into his own net for an equaliser. The referee then awarded Town a penalty soon after and a cool finish put the ball just beyond Langley’s fingertips and into the bottom right corner of the Bee’s net. A few good saves from Langley kept the Bees in the game but when Sammy Kelly’s late goal from a Mike Raddon cross was deemed offside, it was clear this was to be Town’s day. Elsewhere, bottom side Broadhempston United fell to another defeat with a 3-1 reverse at home to Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves.

Only one cup game needed extra-time to resolve and it was a 13 goal scoring fest at Newton United Reserves in the Bill Treeby Cup with Paul Mills scoring twice and Narvidge, Swann, Norrish and Austin also finding the net. Nevertheless, visiting Watts Blake Bearne kept pace all the way and finally delivered the knockout blow in extra-time to edge through 7-6! Ilsington Villa were well on their way to securing their quarter-final place after Si Westwood and an own goal had put them two up at home to Stoke Fleming and Strete. But the visitors pulled the game back to two apiece and it required a long-range Jamie Teague strike to finally put Villa through. Barton Athletic Reserves, Ilsington Villa and Newton Rovers Reserves join them in the last eight. A goal from Lloyd was as good as it got for Chudleigh Athletic Thirds who were knocked out 3-1 at Barton Athletic Reserves while Newton Rovers Reserves saw off the challenge from Brixham AFC Thirds, winning 3-0 at Bakers Park.

With Bishopsteignton United Reserves not playing, Riviera United Reserves looked to increase their lead at the top of Division Five. But any wild hopes they may have of finishing there in May were almost certainly dashed by Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves, Lee McArthur with a brace and Dan Lawton and Pillar singles in a fine 4-2 victory for the hosts.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *