newton united v salcombe town

Dartmouth Ease into Belli Quarters

ROLLERCOASTER: Ashley Yeoman’s hat-trick couldn’t quite earn Salcombe Town a share of the spoils in a 5-4 defeat at Paignton Saints. (c)

The weather has improved but sadly not the condition of many of the pitches as, once again, the WBW (Solicitors) SDFL programme was reduced to just five games, most in the South Hams.

The first of this season’s George Belli Cup action happened at Longcross, Dartmouth with Robbie Chalk’s hat-trick helping the home side to a comfortable 8-0 victory over Loddiswell Athletic. Scott McRoy and Lee Morgan struck twice apiece and Jordan Frost also netted for Darts. As they look ahead to the quarter-finals, Loddiswell can switch focus back to staying in the Premier Division.

Another hat-trick was put away at Paignton Community College as Salcombe Town’s Ashley Yeoman had a productive afternoon for Salcombe Town, scoring three of his side’s four goals, Joshua Harris with the other. But despite taking a two goal lead, it was home side Paignton Saints who continued their good start to the year by winning 5-4 at the end of a topsy-turvey game on the 3G. Saints got their first goal of the afternoon through Jamie Micklewright before Billy Reay drew them level from the spot. Saints then again went behind before Jamie Ford equalised for a third time. Micklewright then put Saints ahead for the first time before Salcombe fought back to 4-4. Ford then struck again and it proved to be the final goal of the game, earning Saints all three points. Newton Abbot ’66 also scored five to end Beesands Rovers’ recent run of form and move themselves into the top six. 5-2 was the final score from the Cellars with Sean Boldick and Tom Lowe scoring twice for the Sixes, Thomas Sercombe adding his name to the score-sheet and Mattias Bodman and David Lang netting for the Bees.

Bishopsteignton United managed to tick another fixture off as they upped sticks for Broadmeadow’s ground to take on Liverton United Reserves. Finn Graham and Christopher Hardee scored as Bishops emerged 2-1 winners to make it four league wins on the bounce and to bring the Division Two title tantalizingly closer.

The other surviving game was at Poole Lane where Division Four title hopefuls East Allington United Reserves edged second-placed Dittisham United 2-1, a result which would have been cheered by leaders Torquay Town who still lead on goal difference but with now just the one extra game played over the Plums. The Pirates’ goals were scored by Fin Watson and recent signing Rob Tapper; Dittisham’s Joe Kirby also found the net.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *