throgmorton charity shield buckland athletic reserves

Champions Bounce Back but Ashburton Continue to Fly

YOUNG GUNS: Buckland enjoyed a crucial win at home to Waldon with a team packed with young talent. (c)

Buckland Athletic Reserves’ home tie against Waldon Athletic had a ‘must win’ look about it for the struggling champions; so they would have been delighted to have had the opportunity to unleash former first team regular Lloyd Gardner on the Clarets, Gardner’s current club Barnstaple without a game.

Otherwise, most of Buckland’s side comprised of youngsters including debutant James Moxon who, alongside fellow young midfielder Mitch McCann, had a great game. It was the familiar figure of Matt Beer who helped Buckland into a 2-0 lead though with a penalty after Dan Harrity’s clumsy tackle, the first goal a Liam Gatting own goal. Waldon improved after the break, Pete Summerfield doing an effective job of keeping Gardner quiet and also pulling a goal back from the penalty spot. But Buckland’s defensive strength saw them inflict a first defeat of the season on their title rivals. Buckland finished the game with ten men after Jordan Ewing was given his marching orders on the hour mark for a second yellow card.

The net beneficiaries of the result at Homers Heath were Ashburton. Now the only unbeaten side in the Premier, the Ashes cruised to a 7-0 victory over Loddiswell Athletic to extend their lead to six points. There were braces apiece for Tom Arnold and Billy Ashton with singles contributed by Damien Francis Furnivall, Alex Harding and sub Josh Moore.

Kingsteignton Athletic took the lead three times at Kingskerswell and Chelston but couldn’t manage the three points that would have lifted them to second spot, an entertaining game finishing 3-3 with Kerswell equalising five minutes from time. Tom Reeves scored two goals for the Rams with Louis Horton netting twice for Kerswell, one a penalty. Steve Payne (Kingsteignton) and Aiden Macken completed the scoring. Lucas Burgess netted in consecutive weeks for Brixham AFC but it was to be consolation only for the Fishermen as in-form Upton Athletic won 3-1 courtesy of a Neil Last brace and another strike from Jules Emati Emati. Watcombe Wanderers picked up their first win since September at Paignton Villa, 6-3 the final score from Churston Grammar School with Cieran Bridger and Chris Srdinko both sinking doubles; Simon Ross and Connor Finch completed the half dozen with the Greens even enjoying the luxury of a missed Will Allen penalty. Villa’s Sam Woodcock scored twice with their other goal delivered by Lorin Newcombe. East Allington United hang on to their top six place with a narrow 3-2 win over Ivybridge Town Reserves, Andy Davis with a last minute penalty winner. Dan Bowles and Jon Davis were the other home goalscorers. The Ivies, who felt hard done by, scored through former AFC Staverton player Jonathon Almond and sub Bradley Gue. They are still seeking a first win after just one point in their opening nine games. Roselands have yet to pick up a point at all as they fell to a seventh straight defeat at home to Dartmouth AFC, Lee Morgan and Ben Greeno on target for the Darts.

Totnes and Dartington went back to the top of Division One with a convincing 7-2 home triumph over Babbacombe Corinthians, although Corries were dangerous on the counter attack and took the lead in the 10th minute. T&D weren’t fazed though and replied almost immediately, a whipped cross to the back post met by Jed Roberts and his touch across goal tapped in by Barry Abraham. A few minutes later, Buzz Avis gave Tots the lead after a fine cross from Finn Roberts allowed Avis to simply flick the ball in at the back post making it 2-1. A superb one-two between Gareth Judkins and Daniel Block was brilliantly driven into the bottom right corner by Judkins to put the home side 3-1 up at half time. About ten minutes into the second half, Totnes and Dartington’s star striker Daniel Block put the game to bed with two further goals. His first was very well-taken as he rounded the ‘keeper to finish into an empty net; his second was even nicer though as he met a delightful through ball from Josh Bird and slotted it past the ‘keeper. Corries got one back on the counter attack, their striker tapping home from six yards for 5-2. Two more goals in quick succession from T&D followed though with Judkins passing into the net after a parried free-kick rebounded to him off the post and substitute tapping home after a goalmouth scramble. Dean Coles and Oliver Tudor were the goalscorers for the visitors. A 20th minute Jack Salmons winner saw Chudleigh Athletic extend their unbeaten start at the expense of Paignton Saints while Harbertonford fell to third after suffering their first loss of the campaign at Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves. Unfancied Spurs produced the better football in the first half but fell behind against the run of play when Fords defender Matt Maller scored from a corner. They almost conceded a second soon after when Steve Sutton burst through only to be denied by a great save by the Spurs ‘keeper Matthew Upton. But before the break, Spurs got back on terms with a shot from the edge of the box. Early in the second half, Dan Bovey broke through to put the visitors in front for a second time only for Spurs to equalize within two minutes with a low drive from distance. Bovey then missed a great chance to regain the lead; a Sutton pass found him all alone in front of goal but he blazed his shot over the bar. Fords were to rue that miss soon after when Spurs broke through a shaky Fords rearguard to snatch the lead before adding a fourth late on to make the points safe. Mark Voisey scored two goals for the hosts with Sam Hancox and Matt Williams also on target. Finley Bullen helped Beesands Rovers to close on hosts Salcombe Town with a double in the derby at Malborough Playing fields. Jed Tucker also scored in a 3-2 win for the Bees, Charlie Barnes and Ryan Colmer with Salcombe’s goals. Sixth-placed Newton Abbot ’66 did their goal difference a world of good with a 17-1 hammering of Stoke Gabriel Reserves. Jonathan Clyne increased his tally by another six with Tom Lowe scoring four times. Substitute Daniel Martin managed a hat-trick, John Ekins completed a brace and there were singles for Sean Boldick and Christopher Kemp. Ipplepen Athletic lost a 2-1 half-time lead to slip to a fifth straight league defeat with a 4-2 reverse at Buckland Athletic Thirds. Matthew Briant, Ben Cowling, Glenn Holmes and Lee Pike did the damage for Bucks.

Watcombe Wanderers Reserves became the first team through to the quarter-finals of the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup as they edged out Buckfastleigh Rangers 2-1, Lewis Woodmore with another two goals for the Greens.

Despite Harry Gorton, Joshua Goswell and Andy Espley each finding the net for Broadmeadow STFC, the seven-goal Teignbridge derby ended with a 4-3 win for visiting Division Two leaders Bishopsteignton United, Bishops now six points clear of Buckfastleigh Rangers. Bovey Tracey moved up to third spot with a 3-2 victory over Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves. The Rams took lead through Kyle Deakin but Bovey scored through Lewis Perring and Chez Walters to turn the tables. Kingsteignton levelled through Ash Dove before Lee Pascoe struck the winner. Liverton United Reserves enjoyed back-to-back wins with four goals and a clean sheet against Newton United who remain pointless. Riviera United also won for the second game in a row, defeating Hookhills United 5-0 at Whiterock. James Parker opened the scoring nine minutes in and nine minutes later Liam Ford made it 2-0. Shane Essam struck twice, his first two minutes before the break and his second on 65 minutes, to put the game to bed before Calum Ford rounded off proceedings five minutes later. Despite being the only unbeaten side in the division, a third draw out of five for Torbay Police sees them down in eighth place. It was another battling display from the Bees who hosted Kingskerswell and Chelston with both sides depleted of key players. The Police went a goal down after Ross Mogridge ‘was blinded by the sun’ and got caught under the ball, Mark Tobin with the opener. But the Bees equalised shortly after following good work from Chris Bishton who pulled the ball back for Darren Munday to force a good save from the Kerswell ‘keeper. The rebound landed at Max Prestwood’s feet though and the prolific goalscorer made no mistake, firing into the open net. The home side then took the lead, in the second half, when debutant Martin Luker put Jamie Bayliss through, the latter taking his chance well. But again, it was a set piece that was the Police’s undoing as they lost out in the air for Tobin to head in his second. The game remained that way and although the Bees were guilty of missing some gilt-edged chances towards the end, a point apiece was probably a fair result.

Four goals from Benjamin Bowhay, taking his tally to 20, and a further two from James Howrihane – who then replaced injured ‘keeper Adam Baker between the sticks – helped Meadowbrook Athletic to extend their Division Three lead to six points. Brook smashed ten past Ipplepen Athletic Reserves with no reply, Samuel Fenegan, Christopher Hooper and Chris Fry, from the bench, also contributing goals and Pens scoring an own goal. With Harbertonford Reserves in cup action, Chudleigh Athletic Reserves moved level second on points by beating Ashburton Reserves 2-1 at the Chudleigh Sports Centre. James Bowden and Mark Halse found the net for the home side with Ben Drinkwater keeping it tight with a goal for the Ashes. As for the Fords, they bowed out of the last 16 of the A&S Paving Devon Intermediate cup with a 3-2 home loss to Plymouth side Friary Vaults. Jordan Baggott and Dan Thorp scored for the home side but with both sides deadlocked at 2-2, a late penalty awarded to the visitors saw them make it through to the quarter-final stage. Abbotskerswell are enjoying a nice run of league form at the moment and won their third league game on the spin, 3-1 away at Upton Athletic Reserves. Waldon Athletic Reserves remain just outside the top six after they were held 1-1 away at Dartmouth AFC Reserves with Nick Rushe scoring for the hosts.

In Division Four, the top two traded places again with Torquay Town once more leading the pack as they knocked three past Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves with no reply. James Rushe scored twice for Town with Brandon Ambrose the other goalscorer. The win was enough to put them above Dittisham United on goals scored despite the Plums also winning, 2-0 at Newton Rovers with goals from Joe Kirby and Liam Houlahan. East Allington United Reserves slipped off the pace, held 2-2 at Riviera United Reserves, but they will probably be grateful for the point as the Pirates staged one of two remarkable comebacks in the SDFL this week. The game entered the last minute with Rivi two to the good thanks to goals from David Tucker and Daniel Callaghan. That was until Zacq Standish and Ryan Westerman decided to spoil the party with two quick-fire goals. Newton Abbot ’66 reserves are now unbeaten in six in the league after another goal-studded win, 4-2 the final score at Bishopsteignton United Reserves. Tom Carne led the way with two goals for the Sixes, Daniel Boateng and Ryan Sweeney, from the bench, also getting goals. Lee Grimshaw and Christopher Parker netted for the home side. There was a fourth successive win in all competitions for Paignton Villa Reserves as they increased the problems for bottom side Kingsbridge and Kellaton United. Two goals from Alexander Williams and singles from Ryan Owen and Connor Hunter wrapped up a 4-0 triumph at the Loddiswell Playing Fields. Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves moved up into the top six with a 2-0 home win over Torbay Police Reserves who battled hard but couldn’t prevent a fourth straight loss.

In Division Five, doubles by Cory Brennan and Joshua Kiff helped leaders Watts Blake Bearne AFC to another three points at home to Newton Rovers Reserves. Lewis Austin and Samuel Stowell also netted for WBB with Aaron Barker scoring Rovers’ consolation in a 6-1 result at Abbrook Park. Barton Athletic Reserves got over their wobble at Chudleigh by edging Stoke Fleming and Strete 3-2 at Steps Cross. Ryan Corcoran, Kriss Darke and Mark Davenport scored for Barton who finished the game a man light, sub Josh Ballard dismissed after picking up two bookings. Brixham AFC Thirds remain in third after winning 11-1 away at struggling Newton United Reserves. Shane Pike led the way with four goals and Reece Dallow scored twice. The rest of the goals were spread around the team with Joseph Meredith, Josh Piper, Jago Haines, Scott Walker and substitute Daniel Trezise on target; Stuart Middlehurst was United’s sole goalscorer. The Fishermen are now four points clear of the pack with Ilsington Villa and Paignton Saints Reserves both drawing. Broadhempston United went in 2-1 up at Villa after Dean Barter and Sehena Coulibaly found the net, Jamie Teague with Villa’s strike from the penalty spot. After plenty of chances for Villa in the second half, Teague converted again, at the death, to rescue a point. Unfortunately, Villa’s Mike Tapp was hospitalised with a suspected dislocated shoulder during the first half. Paignton Saints Reserves will compete with East Allington United Reserves for the comeback of the day award at home to a very good Watcombe Wanderers Third side. Watcombe took the lead as Saints switched off at the back only for Ian Simons to try his luck from 30 yards and draw Saints level. The hosts then had chances to pull ahead but missed the opportunity and with that went 2-1 down after a controversial penalty decision. According to the Paignton side, Saints ‘keeper Josh Blayber seemed to have saved the penalty but the referee thought otherwise and gave the goal. Saints again came back, on the hour, through Matt Furness after a good cross from Kieran Dowsing. Two goals inside 15 mins put Watcombe 4-2 up and that goal looked decisive, Saints trying to get back into the game but nothing working for them. 90 minutes were almost up when Matt Furness got his second and Saints’ third. With time up, Saints had one last chance and from a Jason Dingley corner Ian Simons outjumped the Watcombe defence to power home an unstoppable header and give Saints a well-deserved 4-4 draw.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *