buckland athletic v waldon athletic herald cup final

Buckland Match Biggest Win With Eight at Ipplepen

Yellow Day: Buckland, seen here in last year’s Herald Cup final, scored eight away at Ipplepen on Saturday. (c)MiraclePR

Buckland Athletic Reserves equalled their biggest win of the season so far as they put last week’s Belli cup exit behind them and knuckled down to the task of defending their title at Ipplepen Athletic. The Pens have a poor recent record against Buckland and shipped eight at Moor Road with Jordan Ewing, Cameron Kelly and Sam Dicken scoring two each and Chris Harper and James Colclough with the others.

Following their poor home defeat against Kingsteignton Athletic last week, Ashburton put on a much-improved display in windy conditions at Poole Lane. However, East Allington United can seemingly do no wrong at the moment and goals from Tom Rowdon and Si Hannaford led the Pirates, who haven’t dropped a point (or lost a cup tie) since November, to a 2-0 victory. Next up for United is Wednesday night’s Throgmorton Devon Premier Cup semi-final against The Windmill FC at The Rec, Newton Abbot.

Dartmouth AFC had the chance to move up to second but instead suffered a surprise 2-0 home loss to struggling Ivybridge Town Reserves. Josh Zimmerman and Steve Sutton scored the all-important goals but it was not all good news for Town, Greg Daw requiring stitches in his leg following a tackle with Darts’ Chris Hooper. The win brings a six-match losing streak to an end while their games in hand give them a strong chance of overtaking the teams above them to stay in the division. One of those sides, Loddiswell Athletic, travelled to Broadpark to face a Kingsteignton side well within reach of a top six finish this season. Tom Reeves broke the deadlock for the Rams, meeting Toby Pullman’s cross to head home at the back post after 25 minutes, and that goal still separated the sides at half-time. Loddiswell worked themselves into a good position two minutes after the restart but Chris George intervened to turn a one-on-one with the ‘keeper into a penalty which the visitors duly tucked away. Kingsteignton got their noses back in front after 71 minutes and then, with seven minutes remaining sealed the points although the South Hams team did manage a second right at the death.

Newton Abbot Spurs’ slip towards the exit door continued with Sean Kenny of Brixham AFC Reserves grabbing the only goal of the game at The Rec. Almost incredibly, considering their awful start to the campaign, the Fishermen are now knocking on the door of the top six!

There were almost as many Premier matches played as in all of the rest of the divisions combined as waterlogged pitches rendered many games unplayable. Division One was wiped out completely and only one game survived in Division Two, Teignmouth Reserves enjoying their first victory since Bonfire Night as they came from one down to edge Dartmouth AFC Reserves 2-1 at Coombe Valley, Roe and Siverston scoring.

Meadowbrook Athletic are up to second again in Division Three after they overcame Upton Athletic Reserves comfortably on a pitch which resembled a mud-bath at times. Liam Collings put away a hat-trick for Brook with Tom Hingston and Gareth Judkins wrapping up a deserved 5-1 victory. Broadmeadow STFC stay three points clear at the top as they defeated Roselands Reserves 3-1.

Ashburton Reserves became the last side to book their place in the Les Bishop Cup semi-finals. They did it without kicking a ball as opponents Dittisham United were unable to raise a side for the trip to Chuley Road.

Newton United Reserves will be disappointed that their derby with Newton Rovers Reserves only made it until half-time before being called off after a Rovers player suffered an injury which required hospital treatment. United had gone four up by this time, with Samuel scoring twice and Chapman and Bradford also on target. Bishopsteignton United’s 100 per cent record reached 14 games – but only just! Hosts Stoke Fleming and Strete became the first team in the division to restrict Bishops to one goal, scored by Craig Stonelake. However, that goal proved enough to win the game. Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves are now five unbeaten, Luke Petty and Dan Lawton doing the business at Watts Blake Bearne AFC in a 2-0 success for the Torquay side.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *