watts blake bearne afc

Bond Double Helps Waldon to Close Fought Dartmouth Win

WATT A START: WBB make it three out of three in Division Five with a 4-1 victory over Paignton Saints Reserves last Friday night at Coach Road. (c) Andy Moore/WBB

Waldon Athletic continued their strong start to the season by claiming the three points in their home league game against Dartmouth AFC to make it four wins out of four. At the end of a very close first half, Dartmouth took a deserved lead but Waldon fought back after the break, Spike Bond scoring twice, picking off rebounds from the Darts ‘keeper for both goals. It looked all over with five minutes to go when new signing Pete Summerfield tapped in from substitute Brook Ward’s cross. But a young Dartmouth side came back once more to give the game the close scoreline it probably deserved. Darts, whose goals came from Nick Rushe and Will Kenny, are still looking for their first point of the campaign. Gary Lobb will be back in charge for Saturday’s Herald Cup tie after Darts parted company with Malcolm Lamble in midweek.

Ashburton, playing at Chuley Lane for the first time this season, remain unbeaten after overcoming Ivybridge Town Reserves 4-1 and are currently second in the table; five different goalscorers made the score-sheet: Tom Arnold, Jamie Micklewright, Shaun Waldron and substitute James Moxon for Ashes and Hayden Baugh for the Ivies. Defending champions Buckland Athletic Reserves put last week’s disappointment behind them as they stormed to an 8-1 triumph at Loddiswell Athletic; there were braces for Sam Dicken, Jordan Ewing and Frazer Rudge with Matt Beer and James Colclough completing the octet. Ben Tapper found the net for Lodds but was also sent off in a mixed afternoon for him. Paignton Villa racked up a second win on the bounce, narrowly beating visiting Kingskerswell and Chelston 4-3. Villa found the net through James Wootton, who hit a 30-yard screamer; a Fran Durham penalty and two second-half goals from ‘super sub’ Lorin Newcombe. Kingskerswell scored through Jamie Chamberlain, Ben Cripwell and substitute Joshua Lowles.

A Tom Reeves hat-trick saw Kingsteignton Athletic follow up last weekend’s win over Buckland with a comprehensive 5-0 victory over Upton Athletic, again at Broadpark. Ollie Kewell and Jakeb Heywood-Cann also netted for the Rams. The remaining Premier game saw Brixham AFC Reserves get off the mark by defeating pointless Roselands 4-1 at Wall Park, Adam Blackburn finding the net for the Reds.

Division one leaders Harbertonford took on third-in-the-table Salcombe Town and the visitors proved to be tough opponents, almost taking an early lead after some sloppy home defending in the first few minutes. The Fords survived those scares and raced into a 2-0 lead through goals from Scott Troth and an own goal. But Salcombe hit back with goals from Luke Milton and former Fords player Ryan Colmer to make it 2-2 at the break. Within minutes of the restart, Tom Weymouth netted from close range to make it 3-2 only for Milton to head in an equalizer soon after. But in the last 15 minutes, a classy display from midfielder Luke Brown was topped by his two brilliant goals to make it 5-3. Salcombe never gave up though and Gerald Bulley had to pull off a full stretch save to parry away a rocket from Ashley Yeoman. At the other end, the Salcombe ‘keeper Ewan Grewal made a flying save to deny Brown his hat-trick.

Paignton Saints are making the most of home advantage, winning all four of their games so far. Jake Osman scored twice and Mike Howes once in their 3-1 home win over Newton Abbot ’66 on Saturday. The first goalless draw of the season was fought out at Chudleigh Sports Centre as the home side contained Buckland Athletic Thirds to maintain their unbeaten start to the campaign. Ipplepen Athletic got their first win under their belts and it was an impressive one too, Neil Boldick with a hat-trick at Totnes and Dartington Reserves who lost 4-1 for their first defeat of the season. Dan Steer also netted for Pens while Barry Abraham scored the home side’s consolation. Watcombe Wanderers Reserves also secured their first win, Cieran Bridger stepping down a division to contribute a double and Mike Fieldhouse, Shane Isaac and Liam Northcott also notching in a 5-0 home triumph over Stoke Gabriel Reserves. Something had to give at the Beesands Cellars with both the Bees and visiting Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves having lost both of their opening games. With only four goals scored between them, the goalfest that ensued was something of a surprise. Andrew Eden predictably led the charge with four goals and Jacob Elms also managed a hat-trick for Spurs. Samuel Hancox and Ryan Sanders completed a nine-goal blitz to leave the Bees at the foot of the table despite having scored four goals of their own, Danny Tucker with a brace and Finley Bullen and sub Joe Tucker with the others. To complete the drama, Joel Patchett saw red after collecting two bookings.

Babbacombe Corinthians became the final SDFL team into the second round of the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup, coming back from a goal down at home to Ottery St. Mary. The visitors held the half-time lead through Adam Harris but a goal from Corries’ Curtis Marshall and a brace from Carl Johnson turned things completely around after the break. Kieran Sweet and Jonty Kingston put in fine performances at the back as did midfielders Jack Cole, Sam Swann and Lewis Pillar who provided two cracking set-piece assists.

Bishopsteignton United lead Division Two by a point after they were held to a 2-2 home draw by Broadmeadow STFC. Former Bishops goalscorer Christopher Bennett scored against his old side with Jason Hicks Broads’ other scorer. Andrew Breslan and substitute Gary Rivers did the business for Bishops. Bovey Tracey Reserves are yet to drop a point and picked up a second away win at Riviera United. Things weren’t going the Moorlanders’ way at first though, Rivi taking a 2-0 lead through Alexander McKerrell and Stephen Rohan. But Bovey came storming back, Lewis Perring sinking a hat-trick and Ali Chuchuk and Kieran Heale wrapping up the points. After two heavy defeats, Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves pulled off something of an unexpected 2-1 win away at previously unbeaten Liverton United Reserves. Ashley Dove scored both goals for the Rams and Kyle Deakin put through his own net for Liverton’s goal. A decent Kingskerswell and Chelston Reserves side found themselves unexpectedly two up at half-time in their home game against Torbay Police, Alexander Easson with both goals. The Bees missed a few chances and also hit the woodwork three times but managed a share of the points after captain Max Prestwood scored twice after the break including a last minute penalty. Newton United’s dismal start to the season continued with a 4-0 loss away at Hookhills United who enjoyed a first win. Shaun Wingrove scored a double and there were singles for Stuart Ironside and Ian Collis. Newton United are yet to score a goal and prop up the division.

In Division Three, a Callum Winter goal was enough for Ashburton Reserves away at Dartmouth; the Ashes move level on points with leaders Harbertonford Reserves who were without a game. Unbeaten Barton Athletic faced Roselands with new Signing Gary Moore starting up front making his debut and centre-back Charlie Thomas stepping up from the reserves after an impressive start to the campaign. Barton started well, putting Roselands under constant pressure, and should have taken the lead on a couple of occasions before a penalty was awarded for a trip in the box. Lee Henrique duly converted with the perfect spot-kick in off the post. Athletic’s pressure continued and paid off as they went 2-0 up after half an hour, a corner from the left headed into the top corner at the far post by player-manager John Fleet. A tight second half saw Roselands get back in the game with a strike into the top of the net from outside the box. The next goal would be crucial and it went the way of the home side, Moore with his first goal for the club as he pounced on to a loose ball in the box to net. Roselands nicked a second with ten minutes remaining, but Barton held on for the three points. The Reds’ goals were scored by Tyler Andrews and Daniel Brown.The other three games in the division delivered six goals each. Meadowbrook Athletic recovered from their loss against Fords by winning 5-1 at home to Chudleigh Athletic Reserves. Ben Bowhay continued his rich vein of form by scoring twice while man-of-the-match Jamie Easton, Christopher Bishop and Chris Fry also found the back of the net; Aaron Osborn hit Chudleigh’s consolation. The remaining score-lines were even more one sided. Waldon Athletic Reserves made it two wins on the spin by beating Ipplepen Athletic 6-0 away, goals coming from Ben Clark, Todd Corderoy, Jake Grinsill, Matthew Law, Joshua Swann and Jack Wilkinson. Abbotskerswell also won 6-0, at home to Teign Village, for their first victory of the campaign.

In Division Four, another decent performance by Torquay Town ended with them beating Babbacombe Corinthians 6-1 to top the table. After going 1-0 down early on to a Connor Charlesworth strike, Town never let their heads drop and got back into the game soon after, the half finishing with them 2-1 up. With everyone giving 100 per cent, Danny Rushe did the bulk of the damage up front with four goals, Rob Hemming contributed a 25-yard volley and Adam Carpenter also netted. To make matters worth for the hosts, they also lost Charlesworth after he picked up two yellow cards. A hat-trick for Chris Jebb aided East Allington United Reserves as they made it two out of two with a 5-2 home victory over Kingsbridge and Kellaton United. Dan Bowles and Tom Rowdon scored the other Pirates’ goals while Alex Thomas and Andrew Tildesley did their best to keep the visitors in the game with strikes. Their cause wasn’t helped by the dismissal of Christopher Thomas though. Dittisham United complete a trio of Division Four sides yet to drop a point. The Plums defeated Torbay Police 3-1 at Shinners Meadow with Sam Davies scoring twice and substitute Colin Rowden adding another; Oliver Attwood put away the Bees’ goal. Declan Cowley was on fire for Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves, scoring five of his side’s eight goals at home to Newton Rovers. Liam Thomas added two and Sam Johnston scored from the subs bench as Rangers pulled off the biggest win of the afternoon: 8-0. The other game finished all square with hosts Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves drawing 3-3 with visiting Riviera United Reserves. Gareth Davis (2) and Darren Morgan made the scoresheet for the Sixes with Rivi’s goals delivered by Joshua Gagg, Luke Hore and Aaron Ross.

In Division Five, Barton Athletic Reserves’ 100 per cent record continued with another impressive victory against Brixham AFC Thirds. Barton were missing a massive nine regular starters due to a wedding and work commitments and injuries but those who came in to deputise showed the strength in depth at the club. Athletic took a two goal lead through Steve Ready and Liam Young before being pegged back just before the interval. 2-1 turned to 4-1 in the second half with a goal from Conor Nettleton followed by another strike from Liam Young. Things looked comfortable for Barton but a late lapse gave Brixham a sniff. However the hosts saw out the game to claim another three points and set the pace in the Division Five table. Joseph Fellowes and Scott Walker were the Fishermen’s goalscorers. Watts Blake Bearne picked up another valuable three points last Friday night as they took on Paignton Saints Reserves at Coach Road. Daniel Martin led the scoring with two goals with Cory Brennan and Ashley Skinner also on target. Jake Osman was Saints’ goalscorer. Back to Saturday and there was a nine goal thriller at Headlands as Broadhempston United scored four at home yet still ended the afternoon with nothing. Dean Barter (2), Shaden Gagg and Edward Shepherd all bagged goals but strikes from Steeve Yava (2), Joshua Clarke, Zack Schneider and Simon Ross saw visiting Watcombe Wanderers Thirds steal the points. Ilsington Villa enjoyed a second win of the season at the expense of pointless hosts Chudleigh Athletic Thirds; Ryan Wills added another to his Villa tally with substitute Josh Tibbs also netting; Chudleigh’s goal came off the head of a Villa defender. Stoke Fleming and Strete continue to bang in the goals, scoring seven without reply at Newton Rovers Reserves. Sam Bruckner put away four goals by himself, Daniel Bastin hit a double and Redford Hogben also scored.

Newton United Reserves also exited the A&S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup with a 4-2 reverse at home to Awliscombe in the First Round. United actually scored four goals but two were at the wrong end! Bryant and Gay found the net for Awliscombe.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *