torbay police v plympton athletic reserves devon senior cup

Ashburton Win at Buckland to Rack up Eighth Victory

OVER AND OUT: Torbay Police were disappointed with the goals they conceded as they bowed out of the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup 3-1 at home to Plympton Athletic Reserves. (c) Paul Mirfin

Ashburton took a big step towards the WBW Solicitors SDFL title by beating Buckland Athletic Reserves 2-1 at Homers Heath, surely ending any remaining hopes that the defending champions might claim a fourth successive crown this season. Tom Arnold and Damien Francis Furnivall scored for the unbeaten Ashes to extend their winning league run to eight games and their lead over second-placed Waldon Athletic to six points; Matt Beer added to his tally for the home side.

Waldon are doing all they can to keep pace. The Clarets rediscovered their early season form with an impressive performance away at Kingskerswell and Chelston, Tommy Holland settling any early nerves by blasting in from over 30 yards. Spike Bond, returning from injury, wiggled free to add the second and it was all but over by half-time when Kyle Doughty`s far post cross found Gary Doyle tapping in. Brook Ward applied the icing on the cake, again tapping home from a cross, this time from Ash Harris. Ben Archer then saved Kerswell any further embarrassment by pushing away Doughty`s well struck penalty.

Kingsteignton Athletic made it an unchanged top three as they scored two without reply against bottom side Roselands, Tom Reeves opening up in the 17th minute and Ollie Kewell sealing the result with a second on the hour mark.

Tom Harvey and Simon Tapper suffered a baptism of fire as they travelled to Upton Athletic for their first game as the new Loddiswell Athletic managers. The opening 20 minutes certainly didn’t promise a goal glut but the hosts went up a gear and ended up hitting ten past the Greens with a clean sheet to boot. Jamie Passmore led the charge with four goals, Rui de Garces scored a hat-trick, Neil Last netted twice and Darren Bastow weighed in with a single.

East Allington United were also in prolific mood as the Pirates took Paignton Villa apart at Poole Lane. Even the absence of Simon Hannaford proved no issue for the hosts as Fin Watson and Tom Rowdon scored three goals each, Andy Davis put away another penalty and Fred Massey bagged a single for an 8-1 victory. Francis Durham, Villa’s top scorer last season, hit the visitors’ consolation.

Having picked up just one league point, Ivybridge Town Reserves must have felt due a change in fortune. The Ivies hosted Dartmouth AFC in their delayed Herald Cup Second Round tie on Saturday and finally tasted success with a 3-2 victory that will see them play high-flying Waldon for a place in the quarter-finals. Jack Maddock, Xoli Ncube and Alex Warren scored for the home side, Danny Rushe with both of Darts’ goals.

Budleigh Salterton were one of the teams Watcombe Wanderers dispatched en route to their Devon Premier Cup win in 2014 but there was to be no repeat at Long Lane, Simon Ross’s strike the best it got for the SDFL’s last remaining hope as the Robins won 6-1 to take their place in the last eight.

The top two in Division One locked horns at the Foxhole Ground with leaders Totnes and Dartington Reserves sending Chudleigh Athletic to their first defeat of the season. With Chudleigh looking to take top spot from their hosts, it was always going to be a tough afternoon for Mark Rogers’ men and things were made harder when they lost their captain in the warm up to an injury meaning a full debut for new signing Ollie Rowe. Totnes controlled the opening 15 minutes, looking composed on the ball and playing out from the back without creating too much in front of goal. A hopeful cross-cum-shot was turned into Chudleigh’s net just seven minutes in by the unfortunate Dexter Pitman after a mix-up with goalkeeper Richard Virgin. Chudleigh were almost immediately back in the game after their striker won a header 12 yards from goal, only to see his effort rebound off the post and fall to safety. Just after the half-hour mark, Barry Abraham calmly turned in a cross after some great work by Daniel Block down the right-hand side to put Tots two up at the break. The back three of Rowe, Jed Roberts and Ollie Smith were solid all game but were denied a clean sheet when the referee awarded a controversial spot-kick to the visitors on 65 minutes, Sam Cockram pulling it back to 2-1. The following five minutes were frantic with neither side holding on to the ball for long. Totnes pushed forward and restored their two goal advantage with ten minutes remaining courtesy of young Chay Pomeroy who netted moments after coming off the subs bench. Buzz Avis then made it 4-1 with a fine finish from 18 yards in the 88th minute after yet another tireless display in centre midfield. A rare lapse at the back saw Chudleigh have an opportunity to score another consolation goal late on but their striker was denied from close range by the legs of Dave Carroll.

Harbertonford stay third but they were in Firewatch Devon Senior Cup action this week, hosting fellow SDFL Division One side Paignton Saints. The Fords were determined to put the previous week’s debacle behind them and made a storming start, Tom Weymouth putting them ahead inside ten minutes after good work from Tom Moody. Moody then slotted home a second goal minutes later before Steve Sutton made it three with less than 20 minutes played, latching on to a Robbie Clegg through ball. Saints then managed to pull a goal back before goals from Jacob Kneebone and Jake Eastley put the home side 5-1 up at the break. Within minutes of the restart, Moody waltzed through the Saints rearguard to score his second goal before Saints reduced the deficit from the penalty spot. The Fords then brought on substitute Dan Bovey who soon made it 7-2 before Moody smashed in the eighth goal to complete his hat-trick; Jay Ford and captain Billy Reay were Saints’ goalscorers. Harbertonford join Watcombe Wanderers Reserves in the quarter-finals but Salcombe Town, Buckland Athletic Thirds and Division Two side Torbay Police all bow out of the competition. Lakeside Athletic saw off the challenge of Salcombe with Cox, Gargett, Garside (from the penalty spot) and Lee on target in a 4-1 win, Ashley Yeoman scoring Town’s consolation on his return from injury. Chagford of the Devon and Exeter League soundly beat Buckland Athletic Thirds 4-0. At the Galmpton War Memorial Ground, Torbay Police bowed out in disappointing fashion with a poor performance in which they felt they handed Plympton Athletic Reserves their three goals in an otherwise even contest. Captain Max Prestwood kept up his impressive county cup goalscoring record with the Bees’ consolation.

There was good news for the Bees of Beesands Rovers though as they put five past Watcombe Wanderers Reserves in their Division One tie. Finley Bullen hit a hat-trick and there were goals from Jed Tucker and sub Tom Hanson in a 5-2 victory, Sean Finch with both of Watcombe’s goals. Beesands move above Watcombe into fourth after three wins on the trot. Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves and Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves edge closer to the top six with away wins. Spurs overcame Ipplepen Athletic 3-1 at Moor Road, thanks to a hat-trick from Andy Eden, Daniel Steer on target for Pens, while Corries edged Newton Abbot ’66 3-2 at Osborne Park. Kieran Sweet scored twice for the visitors with Lewis Pillar also on target; Matt Clenahan and Thomas Mountfield found the net for the home side.

Bovey Tracey Reserves moved up to second spot in Division Two, coming from a goal down away at leaders Bishopsteignton United to win 6-3. Bishops took the lead but the Moorlanders quickly went 3-1 up through Christian Fleet, Lee Pascoe (with a penalty) and Alistair Chuchuck. Bishopsteignton’s goalkeeper Richard Sutherland then handled outside the box and was sent off with Cliff Walters, Chuchuck again and Lewis Perring making it 6-1. Bishops refused to give up though, battling back with two more goals to restore some respectability to the score-line. Danny Brown bagged two of Bishops’ goals, George Minto credited with the other. Riviera United move level with third-placed Buckfastleigh Rangers by beating them at Whiterock. Just as they had done a week earlier, Rivi surged into a three goal lead with goals from Shane Essam and Stephen Rohan in the first 15 minutes and Rohan again three minutes from half-time. Rangers pulled one back just before the break but Ashley Dewdney struck with just over 20 minutes left to close the door on any comeback. A Rohan penalty, ten minutes later, completed his hat-trick with Rangers getting a second consolation on 79 minutes. Charlie Morgan and Jono Ellis were Rangers’ goalscorers. Broadmeadow STFC won their first point in three games with a share of the spoils at home to Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves. The Rams took the lead four times, Kyle Deakin with two and Ashley Dove and Mark Prowse with the others. But Broads would not be beaten and strikes from Chris Bennett, Andy Espley, Joshua Goswell and Daniel Kenward meant the game ended 4-4. It was all square at Halford too, Liverton United Reserves unbeaten in htree but held 2-2 by Kingskerswell and Chelston Reserves. Sebastian Hennessy-Dobbs and Oliver Mason found the net for the home side with Ashley Beetschen and James Horrocks on target for Kerswell. There was also a first point of the season for Newton United as they completed the first half of their season with a 1-1 home draw with Hookhills United, Ben Austin with United’s effort.

Meadowbrook Athletic’s Ben Bowhay was credited as one of the best players in the league by Waldon Athletic Reserves goalkeeper Adam Taylor who was beaten six times by the Brook goalscorer in a 7-0 home loss for the Clarets. Christopher Hooper also hit the back of the net with a penalty rebound as the visitors made it seven wins in a row to maintain their six point lead over Harbertonford Reserves. The Fords also enjoyed a productive afternoon with a 6-1 victory away at Abbotskerswell. They created a hatful of chances in the first half but had to settle for a two goal lead at half-time. In the second period, Abbots pulled a goal back through James Despard-Clark but were sunk by four more goals from the visitors. David Hatch grabbed a hat-trick and Luke Forward, Jordan Baggott and Samuel Hardman scored the others. Chudleigh Athletic Reserves complete the unchanged top three and they also enjoyed an emphatic win – 8-2 at home to Upton Athletic Reserves. Robert Cook scored half of Athletic’s goals and was joined on the score-sheet by Mark Halse, with two, Jack Lee and Justin Ware. It’s now six league defeats in a row for Ipplepen Athletic Reserves and a fifth in which they have failed to find the net. Hosts Roselands Reserves picked up back-to-back wins with Daniel Beech, Matthew James, James Sandbrook, Callum Vickery and sub Jake Hancock all scoring in a 5-0 triumph. Teign Village also made it two in a row by beating Dartmouth AFC Reserves 4-2. Dean Kelly scored twice for the Villagers with Daniel Martin also on target; Nick Rushe and Nathan Merritt found the net for Dartmouth.

The top three all won again in Division Four as did all of the division’s away teams! Leaders Torquay Town enjoyed their first half at Churston Grammar School, taking a two goal lead into the break through Jamie Fortune and Gaverin Warner. Hosts Torbay Police Reserves battled to get back into the game in the second half but couldn’t find the net and lost out 2-0. Behind Town on goal difference are in-form Dittisham United who picked up their sixth successive win at Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves. George Besley and Joe Kirby struck for the Plums with Hadyn Sibley contributing for Rangers as the game finished 2-1. East Allington United Reserves are unbeaten in four. Justin Denning, Matthew Duffy and Jake Langman, from the bench, leading the Pirates to a 3-2 win at Newton Rovers, Gunny Uven and Curtis Bond with Rovers’ goals. Elsewhere, Riviera United Reserves moved above opponents Paignton Villa Reserves with a 3-1 away victory thanks in part to a Garry Drew hat-trick. Captain Lee Grimshaw was in clinical mood at the King George V, scoring four times for Bishopsteignton United Reserves in a 7-3 triumph against Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves. Bishops’ other goals were provided by Jack Davies, Billy Leyman and sub Thomas Bartlett with Connor Charlesworth, Callum Crews and James Tozer notching for Corries.

Watts Blake Bearne AFC strengthened their position at the top of Division Five by beating second-placed Barton Athletic Reserves 4-1 away. Cory Brennan scored a double for the visitors and was joined on the score-sheet by Bradley Horn and Daniel Martin. Brixham AFC Thirds inched closer to Barton, Shane Pike and Daniel Tucker on target in a 2-2 home draw with Watcombe Wanderers Thirds; Joshua Clarke and Shane Ross scored the Greens goals. Ilsington Villa completed the double over Stoke Fleming and Strete with a 2-1 win, all goals scored in the first half. Hosts Stoke took the lead after a Villa defensive mix up but Ryan Wills, returning after three weeks away, equalised before a superb Jamie Teague header from Tom Bartlett’s cross clinched it. Villa play Premier side Ashburton next in the Herald Cup Third Round. Paignton Saints Reserves’ unbeaten run continued but they felt that their 3-3 draw at Broadhempston United was two points dropped. Saints should have scored in the first minute but Matt Furness dragged his effort wide. After that, Broads’ in-form striker Dean Barter scored to give the Robins the lead. But Saints were soon level through Sean Stoneman as he tried his luck and, with the help of a deflection, beat the ‘keeper. Saints however didn’t learn and soon found themselves 2-1 down, Barter pouncing on some sloppy defending for his second. In the Second half, Saints were determined to put things right and, thanks to a Matt Furness cross, Lee Sylvester was able to stab home. Soon after that, Saints went in front after a corner wasn’t cleared and Matt Reed smashed in to give Saints the lead. But Saints couldn’t hold on to their lead and with less than five minutes to go, Barter popped up to complete his hat-trick. Bottom club Newton United Reserves managed to keep the score down this week but couldn’t prevent defeat, Ryan James and Gareth Hammon cementing a 2-0 victory for home side Chudleigh Athletic Thirds.

There were also three A&S Devon Intermediate Cup Fourth Round games featuring south Devon sides, including an all-SDFL affair between Kingsbridge and Kellaton United and Ashburton Reserves. Despite leading 2-1 at the interval, Division Three side Ashburton were eventually dispatched as United, struggling at the foot of Division Four, dug out a 5-3 win. A single goal was enough for Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves to send Exeter United out of the competition while Lakeside Athletic Thirds ended Barton Athletic’s run with a 4-2 away success.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *